Author Topic: Where/how do I find gas for my new 53 Dragon  (Read 1601 times)

jim.williams1@verizon.net

• View Profile
    • Email
Where/how do I find gas for my new 53 Dragon
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »
I have finally realized my dream of owning a Kaiser.  Now, I am faced with the reality of not knowing how to fuel it.  Am open to any and all ideas.  I understand that Ethanol is not good for it and that it doesn't really like unleaded gas, either.  Am correct?  Thank you very much for your input!

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where/how do I find gas for my new 53 Dragon
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
In States like Texas it may be tough to find no ethanol. Find a station that has multiple grades. Some if you get the plus it is free of Ethanol . You do need ask.

What Color combination is Your Dragon ?
Welcome... Please join the Club when You can...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:42:49 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
Most every gasoline powered vehicle built before 1970 was designed to operate on leaded fuel, and Kaisers are no exception. The lead in the fuel acted as a cushion to help valves and their seats last longer. When lead was phased out, manufacturers started using hardened valves and seats to prevent issues with seats receding.

I've read where a few boat docks and some gas stations (there's one near me) still sell ethanol free fuel. But that doesn't solve the issue of the missing lead.

Your best bet is to ensure you have a fuel system that's been upgraded to handle today's low quality gasolines. Fuel pumps and carburetors can be rebuilt with material that will stand up to the corrosive effects of ethanol. And, there are additives available to help with the no-lead issue as well.

I would first make sure your car has the latest fuel system upgrades. If you plan to drive your car alot, then I'd also look for a good lead substitute. If you're only driving the car occasionally, then I wouldn't worry about an additive. My 53K has had 10,000 miles of unleaded fuel thru it without anything more than an occasional bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in a tank full of gas.

jim.williams1@verizon.net

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.  I really appreciate your prompt responses!!  The Dragon is green on green.  Sorry I don't know the actual color names.  Am a member of the club and will register my car shortly.  I will ask the seller about any upgrades to the fuel system he may have made. Didn't know enough to ask.  He has been driving it in Canada, so I don't know about fuel up there other than that it's unleaded.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
There are over nearly 9000 stations in the US that still carry Ethanol free gas. Here's the list:

http://pure-gas.org/

They tend to be in smaller towns, in my tiny town there are 3. You might not be so lucky in a large city.