Author Topic: 1954 Kaiser with power steering  (Read 2175 times)

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
1954 Kaiser with power steering
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
I've completely rebuilt the front end of my car with new springs, king pins steering arms and a beefed up sway-bar.  Now it doesn't steer safe! Foolishly I did not photograph the original lay out and now I'm at a loss as how to re-assemble it so it can be driven without scrubbing off all of my tire tread.   I would appreciate any photos and leads for replacement parts that could get my car back on the road.  Thanks, John

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1954 Kaiser with power steering
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »
Not seeing what you have done, it sounds more like a severe alignment problem more than assembly
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
I don't know if this would help...

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »
Thank you for the photo, the 54 power steering set up is different. I've included a couple of shots of my car.  The problem seems to be that after everything is aligned according to the specifications and I turn the steering wheel off of dead center the wheels do not stay parallel.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »
second shot

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Looking at your photographs and comparing them to the KF power steering manual, I see that your tie rod ends appear to be mounted incorrectly. The manual shows them mounting into the steering arms from the top, not the bottom as on your car.  (The steering arms are the outer most parts in the system and they mount to the steering knuckle.)

Before you change them, however, I'm hoping someone else with a power steering equipped car checks theirs to confirm.

Another issue that's mentioned several times in the manual is a condition where the pitman arm binds on the power link. This is caused when the pitman arm is drawn down too tightly on the power link.

It was also mentioned that the tie rod sleeve mount bolts must be mounted vertically on the rear of the sleeve to avoid issues with interference in turns.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:26:18 PM by joefrazer »

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
The tie rods end on my power steering are mounted on top of the arms as Joe suggested would be the correct way.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
The threaded stud on the outer tie rod has a taper next to the thread. The steering arm also has a taper to match the stud. You can feel the taper in the steering arm with your finger. The tie rod stud will fit more deeply in the arm when put in the right way. Power steering arms are shorter than manual arms  to give quicker steering. Some cars had power steering added but they didn't change the arms. Manual arms have the tie rod below the arm. Power arms have the tie rod above. So who knows?