Author Topic: Oil Filter Stud  (Read 1153 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Oil Filter Stud
« on: December 28, 2014, 04:42:08 AM »
Took the oil filter canister strap off of my '53 Manhattan to try and tighten it up. It fits loosely on my oil filter. Anyway, when I took the strap off of the engine block I noticed that (when facing the filter from the drivers side) there is a stud screwed into the engine block on the left side that the strap goes onto followed by a lock washer and a nut. But on the right side, there was a bolt that goes through a VERY thick square block. I thought it was strange that there was a stud on the left and a bolt on the right so I looked in the parts manuals. They say that there should be two studs per car with no mention of a bolt or that weird thick block/washer thing. So what's correct? Should there be two studs or do any of you have what I have? Included oil filter exploded view with red arrow pointing to stud.
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Oil Filter Stud
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »
There should be two studs.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
Remember that these studs can be damaged for various reasons over the years.  If the end broke off, the thing you found may have been a replacement for a partly damaged stud, installed by some prior owner.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
Thanks guys. Jack, that is exactly what I suspect has happened. The old fellow who owned this car in the 60's and 70's must have loved this Kaiser. I'm finding MacGyver-like fixes all over the place. Nothing that is unsafe or shoddy, but what seem to be quite well done fixes using whatever he had on-hand to keep this baby on the road. Really makes me wonder why it was parked in '74. Wish I had more history on it. Anyway, I'll be replacing that particular fix with a stud. Thanks again guys!
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:40:31 AM »
shadetree77, that was often the case with those who restored/drove these cars in the 70s/80s/90s - before the internet, you often had to use whatever could be found when applying a fix. You see a lot of cars with those types of repairs.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios