Author Topic: Oil Filter Missing Part?  (Read 5581 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil Filter Missing Part?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
1951-55 Kaisers were equipped on the line with a type 1/2 filter.  This has oil lines attaching to a sealed canister; you remove the lines and throw out the sealed canister when you want to change the filter.  Even before 1951 Kaisers went out to dealers, a factory memo indicated that dealers could make more profit selling new Kaiser owners the replacement element filter (there is a part number for the kit) instead.  After 5 or 6 oil changes, the cost of changing to the replacement element unit would pay for itself compared to the cost of canisters.

K-F offered both Purolator or Fram types in the box (more often, it was Purolator) based on what the dealer had.  Some dealers also used aftermarket brands to replace the canister.

The good ones use the spring to push down on the top of the element.  By the way, the engine compartment photos show a car with the wrong air filter.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
Richard, Got the filter today. It is perfect! I can't thank you enough. It is already installed on my car. I didn't waste any time.  ;D
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
Happy I could help. Need anything else let me know, I have junked 11 Kaiser cars that i didn't have time for I'm 84, working on a Black 2 dr. and 54 Manhattan. don't forget the repro keys or parts list in the monthly. they are offered at cost.