Author Topic: 53 Manhattan fuel pump and generator  (Read 1903 times)

mow4alivn

• View Profile
    • Email
53 Manhattan fuel pump and generator
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »
Have a 53 Manhattan with 226 super sonic 6. I'm in need of a fuel pump can anyone tell me a number I could use to get a fuel pump from like O'reillys? I tried AC number 9571 and also carter number M2050S with no luck. Car has set for 20+ yrs and we (my 12yr old son and I) were able to get it running this morning and it sounds great but without the fuel pumping to carb we had to keep squirting gas from a hand bottle. I know it was not pumping as we had the line disconnected from the carb as it was running I"m also in need of a generator for it but the cross reference number I have for it (Delco DR-1102782) is very pricey at oreillys like 180.00. A cheaper part number for it would be greatly appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53 Manhattan fuel pump and generator
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »
The generators can often be revived by cleaning the commutator end and installing new brushes which should be about $15 at NAPA or O'Reilly's. Regarding the fuel pump, try Then and Now Automotive, they can rebuilt or sell kits to rebuild most fuel pumps. I doubt you will find one at an auto parts store these days. 
http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm
Otherwise, Rudy's KF parts should be able to help you out with both. Rudy can be reached at 1-760-789-3608, mornings are best to call. You can also write him at 2136 Walnut Street   Ramona, CA 92065
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:56:19 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »
I recently bought a rebuilt pump from Rudy that works really well.  Do you have a dual action pump?  If so, I actually have a working one that I took off my car to replace it with a single action.  I don't know how many miles it has on it, but I do know it pumps.  I can't even remember what I paid for the one Rudy sold me, but I could let this one go for a reasonable price.

Cory J. (Logan)

mow4alivn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »
Thanks Again Fid for the reply I may have to call this Rudy as I do not have a generator at all was not on the car when I bought it. You know as things sit for a while parts get scaved from them.

Thanks for the reply Logan but mine is a single action pump also. Took it apart today and the diaphram is pretty much rock solid hard. But Thanks

Just an update; I was able to get the fuel pump working today. I took it apart again and soaked the diaphram in some hot water then reasembled it and it pumped as it should.

One more Note. The gasket that seals the pump to the block was pretty messed up. So I thought that sure looks like a gasket that a chevy 350 v8 motor would use. I happened to have a spare one and it matched up great.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:41:47 PM by mow4alivn »