Author Topic: What does "original" really mean?  (Read 1176 times)

wilhelm

• View Profile
What does "original" really mean?
« on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:56 PM »
I'm curious about the definition of the word "original" as it applies to classic cars.  When someone advertises a car for sale as "all original," what do you expect and/or assume about the car? 

As examples, is it still "original" if:

1. it has a new windshield?
2. it has new tires?
3. it has a new carburetor?
4. it has a new steering wheel?
5. it has been re-chromed?
6. it has modern clamps on a radiator hose?
7. the carpeting has been replaced in the trunk?
8. two scratches on the body were repainted?
9. a rear-view mirror was added?

Maybe there are many different definitions.  If there are, it seems both the potential buyer and seller should agree upon what they both think is the definition.  How do you see it?  I want to understand the word correctly and use it correctly, too.
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Re: What does "original" really mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 10:38:40 PM »
For me an original car is just as it came from the factory or dealer ( dealers did add some things ) YET, I do expect a few things to have been changed, like the battery, tune up parts, tires, the basic parts that need replaced every so often, maybe even the brake shoes, BUT, the paint, interior, motor should be "ORIGINAL". Like you, I've seen the adds that say " All original , new paint, redone interior, with a 350 chevy motor ect.. " I'm thinking, well, what's original? haha. When I take my 53 Manhattan to shows, I tell people the truth, it's all original EXCEPT ( the basics tires, ect. ) one repaint in original color, and the seats were redone due to a bad tear in the drivers area. The rest of the interior is the factory "original" interior.

RESTORED as "original" has a different meaning to me, It's not the original paint or interior, but done as factory. So, I see Original and restored as original a bit different, but factory correct, I am a purist, and love the history, so I try hard to keep my cars as original as possible, This way I can share with the younger generation the way things were back then, with the correct hubcaps, ect.. I even put a "original" magazine from the same year in the front seat as well as sales brochures for the vehicle, haha  But, that's just me, Good question.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What does "original" really mean?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:47:39 PM »
When someone advertises a car for sale as "all original," what do you expect and/or assume about the car? 

I assume the seller has no idea what they're talking about because none of them are.

The same is true of my cars.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios