Author Topic: 226 engine block, looking ahead  (Read 4877 times)

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
226 engine block, looking ahead
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
After an extended time of determining a problem with my 226 Kaiser, It's determined that either the head or the block is cracked. The head comes off tomorrow to be magnafluxed but suspect the block.  Looking ahead, if a block is necessary, what are some suggested sources for a block. I guess this comes with the territory, could be cancer.  K.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 226 engine block, looking ahead
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »
Used blocks are still plentiful and one of our advertisers in the Bulletin offers fully rebuilt engines both stick shift and automatic.  Also check with Rudy Phillips for used or rebuilt engines. 760 789 3608 or all parts are available for you or a local mechanic to rebuild yours when you find a suitable block.  I hope your problem is in the head as they are available too.  Good luck!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply...gotta' do something, the car otherwise, is one of the nicest left

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:21:18 PM »
Ed has 226 hydro engines done and ready to ship, they have all a NO CRACKS IN BLOCKS. I have purchased 3 of his engines complete ready to go. and in my running cars  including my avGreen Dragon couldnt match his price , and am told by members that even with shipping his was a bargan

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:34:42 AM »
Worse case, have the block welded, bored and sleeved. Many machine shops that rebuild engines especially tractors can do this, if you are set on keeping the block you have.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
Thanks, pulled the head this afternoon & off to the machine shop Monday...that'll tell the tale. I'll send on the results K. 

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
Sounds easy but,  the head was resurfaced, hassle just getting a head gasket that wasn't damaged,  now the thing's back together and the problem's still there.  Does anyone have an actual reliable source of someone in the south who can deal with a block crack or has a rebuilt short block.  Anyone in Florida who's up to a block change?   Right now, in my present state of mind, I'm considering having the nicest parts car that ever destroyed a Kaiser...it's been no pleasure, just a pain in the posterior!!!  No wonder Kaiser's are becoming extinct.     

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
I don't know where you were looking for a head gasket but these are not hard to come by.  The Willys 226 engine gaskets work fine and a lot of rebuilders use them instead of the K-F NOS items.  You didn't really identify the problem(s) with the engine.  If you are having a compression issue (assuming you checked compression in each cylinder) how are the valves working; are they opening or closing properly or do you have hang up (worn valve seats, sticking or weak springs)? 

If you are a club member, have you tried contacting club members in your area to see if they can help? 

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »
I was going to avoid the long story but...the engine was freshly rebuilt when I took it to be painted.  That took a little while as the base coats were left to sit, aside from prep & finish. Actually, all mechanical work was current. Anyhow, the water pump apparently had a slow leak...drove the car home (Maybe 8 miles) and bingo, it overheated & stalled upon arrival...time...car won't start...compression check detected frozen valves...time...pulled head, side cover, etc., replaced two valves & valve guides...time...got car started,  extreme smoke when up to temp.,...time...moved, many other involvements, moved car,...time...messed with other cars that were more fun than work, ...time...did a combustion check, determined water & combustion combined...took off head again, had it surfaced & checked for cracks...sent for head gaskets, twice received gaskets with kinks, checked cylinders for moisture or observable cracks, everything looks new...time...CAREFULLY put the thing together again, everything clean & new...still smokes heavily when up to temp. (not blue or black) End result...parts car?  See Kaiser's for sale section.    Sorry if this sounds bitter, this beautiful car has only provided work and expense with no pleasure so far.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:45:10 AM »
Your story is my story. I can definitely relate as the same thing happened to me. A good engine was turned into a block of scrap compliments of overheating. 

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 07:41:36 AM »
It could make a good flower planter or pigeon coup, what direction did you take?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:43:11 AM by 709karl »

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
In some cases it could be the fact that even many skilled modern mechanics don't know all the quirks of the older cars or even the proper way to rebuild them. That could explain why my completely rebuilt engine has a rear main seal leak.

Another factor could be the age of the blocks. Many have already been rebored once and boring them again is pushing it. I recall a thread that said that K-F engines could only be rebored to a certain extent and after that it was guaranteed trouble.

I really miss my dad, who passed away a few years ago. If there was one thing you could bank on, it was an engine he had rebuilt.

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
It's true, dealing with some of the more simple things is a lost art.  I've thought of the option of a Chevy small block but then it would mean disc brakes, better control arms, tires...on & on, and my interest in investing the time & money just isn't there.  Also, it's just to nice of an original example to compromise...maybe it'll be someone's 'barn find' 20 years down the road.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:15:54 PM by 709karl »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
The factory rated the cylinder bores as up to .060 inches but that is the limit; if the block was bored out more than .030 inches previously, .020 is the max I suggest from past experiences as long as you don't go over the .060" limit.  After that the wall between bore and water jacket is too thin and overheating can result.

Coupled with the boring out, I would recommend Shell Rotella or Quaker State 20 weight oil for cars.  Other brands formulated for the different metallurgy and operating conditions are deficient (or even lacking) some of the compounds the older engines--no matter what make--need.  Those are the brands the lubrication people at Ford Motor Co. recommended when I put the question to them while I was on assignment at Ford Cleveland Engine Plant #2 when the Vortec V-6 was in production.