Author Topic: Exchange / rebuilt Carter carburetors?  (Read 960 times)

kingsgate

• View Profile
Exchange / rebuilt Carter carburetors?
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Hi

I have a 1953 Kaiser Deluxe with a Carter WGD car, which seems to have various problems. Does anyone know a good supplier of rebuilt / refurnished carburetors for these cars?

Or a carb repair kit?

Any information / hints gratefully received.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Exchange / rebuilt Carter carburetors?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »
Repair kits for all KF carbs can be found at kfparts.com. 

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exchange / rebuilt Carter carburetors?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
Was having issues with my Carter 2146S on a 54 Manhattan (SC'd) car last week.   Similar to other WCD carbs, but different, not in my manual...... Looked in an old Hemmings, and found National Carburetors over in Jacksonville, Fl.  904-636-9400...estimate to rebuild and ship back was between 170 and 200 bucks.  Talked quite a bit with Eddie in their "antique" section, he took time/patience to answer my questions.

Pulled it off with idea to ship off (what a trip: vac. line to distributor, nuts, etc...no room!), then found the gasket between the carb and bottom of the "box" was half missing,.... so instead, I cleaned it as best I could, got another gasket and put it back...seems to be working now...so, I didn't use the service above.

Though pricing seemed reasonable, given a new gasket set was quoted close to 100 bucks, and then you still have to mess with it all yourself, where they will clean and refinish outside to like new...plus they will "test" it before sending back....

You may want to call and ask.

Bob L.