Author Topic: 1949 frazier manhattan  (Read 4925 times)

theoldfatman

1949 frazier manhattan
« on: May 01, 2007, 01:02:15 PM »
Good day to all -- I just bought a 1949 Manhattan from an old boy out here and am going to need some advice from the experts.  The body is in great shape- no wiskey dents or any thing like that-  the paint job I am told is original but I can start to see like little rust spots  through out the whole thing.   All the glass is intack.   It has sat in a barn for many yrs until just recently when the guy I got it from unstuck the continental moter--???  and had it running and drove it to his house  the interoir is just shot-- mice have torn it up so everything inside will have to be redone.  What i need is some expert advice on where to begin.  any one out there who can lend an old fat man some advice as to where I should begin?

jimkf

Re: 1949 frazier manhattan
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »
Hello! Good choice of cars to own...a Frazer is a fine road car! The best thing you can do is to grab a pencil and paper and make yourself a list of things that you want to do to the car. Then, armed with that, start checking out the KFOCI monthly bulletin for your needs.
Interiors in KF automobiles can be tough to reproduce, but material that's real close to the original can be had. I found that a Ford material sold by LeBaron Bonney, for example, was a spot on match to the material in my 48K.
As for some hands on, probably the best thing to do is to go thru the brakes and make sure they're right. Parts to rebuild or replace brake items are easy to locate and not too pricey so it's well worth the reasonable investment. Then, make sure the engine's had a good tuneup. New plugs, points, cap and rotor will make a world of difference. The carb also might need a rebuild after sitting for a while.
Once you're thru that much, it's time to enjoy the car. A blanket over seat will do until you can spring for a new interior.
Good luck!!

billjohnii

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
HEY FATMAN,
I HAVE SEVERAL FRAZERS.  FABULOUS CARS.  STARTING A GROUNDUP ON A 51.  HOW ARE YOU COMING ??  WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED ?
BILL 4952
1947 KAISER SPECIAL   buckeye maroon - beautiful
1949 FRAZER MANHATTAN needs total resto
1949 FRAZER MANHATTAN crystal green    beautiful
1951 HENRY J                 blue satin        beautiful
1951 FRAZER MANHATTAN 4 DR CONVERTABLE project

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »
Another thing worth doing at this time is to check the info off the firewall body tag (passenger side upper area of the wall).  The different headings and numbers translate to things like original paint color, original upholstery, original transmission, etc, etc, etc.  This can go a long way towards a great car if your intent is to keep it as it was when it left the factory.  If you can post the numbers along with the information on the door post serial number plate, I can tell you a bit about your find.