Author Topic: Radial tires  (Read 1464 times)

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
Radial tires
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »
We just changed out the tires on the 54 Kaiser Special. It had G 78 15 Bias ply Wide Whites. They were over 25 years old and very weather checked. I bought 4 brand new 205 75 15 White wall radials and the ride and steering is like a completely different car, so much better. Now I need new king pins and inner tie rod ends. Is there a good source for these items that won't break the bank?

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radial tires
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
for tie rod ends try the Kaiser Parts Interchange & sources  it lists p/n's and sources

StillOutThere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
Not 1% of car hobbyists wear out the tires on our collector cars.  Model A Ford touring clubs are the exception probably.   While there are statements all over about old tires being unsafe, it is very very rare that one ever fails.   HOWEVER they CAN.   Even though they LOOK GREAT, the rubber continuously deteriorates and actually shrinks.  It certainly gets HARD.   

Collector car tires ought to be replaced after they are ten years old simply for your driving enjoyment and less abuse to the suspension.  Safety is also a reason.   A Model A collector lost control of his car in my city 9 days ago WHEN A TIRE FAILED.  Both he and the car are gone now.
'34 Terraplane convertible coupe
'51 Kaiser Deluxe coupe
'52 Spohn Palos cabriolet
'53 Nash-Healey
'57 Chrysler 300C convertible

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
I got mine Tie rods ends from Willow Run KF parts. 3ea part 201236 RH thread and 3ea part 201237 LH thread. That
covers the tie road and steering link. They were $35. each.