Author Topic: Paint codes  (Read 1039 times)

IowaTom

Paint codes
« on: June 17, 2015, 06:51:38 PM »
I will need Palm Beach Ivory for the lower half of the car and Copper Dust for the top.  However, in the ROM disc I received, I see #281 for the Ivory and #461 for the upper/lower combo.  This can't be all I need to take to a paint shop, can it?
Thanks!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Paint codes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »
The numbers listed were the codes used by KF to note the colors. They won't work at your local paint shop. Most better suppliers like Sherwin Williams have equipment that can "read" the paint on the car and match it to something in their catalog. If you have loose parts in each color, they can read them. I had them read the paint on my Cardinal (red) 53K and it came back as an exact match to a 1973 Fiat paint.

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 04:03:29 AM »
Thanks for that!  I'll take a door hinge cover since it's fairly easy to remove and has been out of the sun.  :-)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »
If your local guy sells PPG automotive finishes, you should be able to get original colors from PPG.  The jobber contacts the PPG Color Library with the original paint number and paint color(s) tied to it.  They will scan their original Ditzler chip from the archive with a computer spectrometer which will print out current mix instructions.  This is a service provided by the company to help their jobbers sell paint.  It is proprietary information and the jobber should not give it out.