Author Topic: What is the correct Dual Action Fuel Pump for a 1953 Kaiser Traveler  (Read 1365 times)

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Can some one tell me what the correct Dual Action Fuel Pump would be for a 1953 Kaiser Traveler? If you could post the KF document that supports the information, that would be great.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is the correct Dual Action Fuel Pump for a 1953 Kaiser Traveler
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »
I was told the later Kaisers ('51-'55) all had Carter fuel pumps.  That would be the top one. The others are AC which work fine but the Carter is better in my opinion and more quiet.  If someone else has other info (shop manual and Motors Repair manual did not state) please let us know.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »
A couple of years ago I bought a new Carter double action fuel pump for my 53 Deluxe. It was fresh new stock and had modern fuel compatible  materials. It was Carter # M957.  An auto store that handles Carter should be able to order it.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 02:21:58 PM »
According to the 1952-53 Kaiser supplement to the 1951 K-F Shop Manual, 1953's were equipped with AC #9616 double-action pumps (with vacuum booster) on the deluxe models (Manhattans had single action AC pumps because of the electric wipers, except for a small run with the double action pump due to parts shortages).  These not only have the upper run for the vacuum boost the vacuum wipers need, they also had a fuel filter/sediment bowl at the bottom of the fuel run.  Carter M888SA were factory for 1952 models according to the same source, when vacuum boost was required.  The current AC version that NAPA sells (under different brand name) does not have the filter/sediment bowl at the bottom.

FID is correct about the Carters being considered the better of the two pump types based on what I have found out.  You can get rebuild kits with CURRENT 10% ETHANOL GASOLINE fittings & seals if you look around.