Author Topic: Hanging pedals?  (Read 1266 times)

IowaTom

Hanging pedals?
« on: July 21, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »
Has anyone successfully used something that works?  I'd like a dual system m/c but with that unusual and unique master cylinder I seriously doubt I'd find one that would accommodate the brake pivot of the factory unit.  I love my car and the guys are in the process of making the disc conversion for her spindles, but I'm also more concerned about good braking and want to use a split system.

My '54 has a manual trans, too and I would be using a hydraulic clutch with my T-5.  I guess if it all were easy, it wouldn't be as much fun.  :-)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:15:03 AM by IowaTom »

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hanging pedals?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:06:31 PM »
It will be interesting to see what response you get to this , i am pondering the same issue on a 51 Kaiser .

Adding on disc brakes right now to a 57 Studebaker hawk and Turner brakes sells a bracket kit for a dual master cylinder , i thought maybe it could be retrofitted for a kaiser but only for automatic cars without the clutch bar . Best alternative may be hanging some pedals under the dash if your going with a 5 speed.  Also need to think about residual valves and an adjustable proportioning valve plumbed in somewhere too and generally you will need a larger bore master cylinder for disc brakes. Good luck with your project 

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Thanks!  Jim Turner and I are buds and I've used his system in several Studes I owned.  They were all manual shift cars and a Champ pickup, too.
He's got it all figured out and a terrific guy as well.  Wish he'd buy a Kaiser!   :)

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »
That's the guy . I also used one of his truck kits with great success. On this Hawk we are going to add a remote reservoir lid to the master cylinder, it's either that or cut the floor opening larger.