Author Topic: 1949 Frazer help?  (Read 8564 times)

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1949 Frazer help?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 08:34:54 PM »
I have a military issued maintenance manual that says to rid an engine of carbon deposits , spray hydrogin peroxide in the carb will engine is running . I have not tried it but will if the situation presents itself .

amkfken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 09:01:50 PM »
You might try adding some SEAFOAM to the gas, available at most auto parts stores, cleans out varnish etc. from the fuel system and is supposed to eliminate carbon deposits.

cwmc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 09:42:24 PM »
Hey, thanks for those tips! I'll try them both; I'm not keen to pull the head if I can avoid it by doing something simple. Will update ASAP!

Cheers
1947 Kaiser Special (2)
1948 Kaiser Special
1949 Frazer Standard
1951 Kaiser Special
1951 Kaiser Special (Toronto Factory)
1952 Kaiser Special (re-numbered 1951?)

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 10:05:08 PM »
An old man I used to know would rev the engine at high rpm then dump water through the carb ........he said it would steam the carbon off......I seen it actually make one run better.....
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
We used to pour a small but steady trickle of auto windshield washer fluid down the carburator.  Hold the engine around 2000 RPM and watch the steam come out the back. Apparently the alcohol enhances the cleaning of the steam.

cwmc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the the ideas! I will try them out and let you know how it goes! I even heard to use Minute Rice from an old local mechanic... apparently works well to remove stubborn chunks of carbon. Maybe I'll pour in the rice and water at the same time and not have to make lunch!

Cheers.
1947 Kaiser Special (2)
1948 Kaiser Special
1949 Frazer Standard
1951 Kaiser Special

cwmc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 01:31:51 AM »
Hey guys,

Well, it turns out that it was a timing related issue after all! I disconnected the vacuum advance and moved the timing back to it's factory setting of 2 degrees initial and the car runs fine, uphill or downhill at any throttle input. My next job is to try to limit the total advance that the distributor can provide. Once I have that limit set, I will reconnect the vacuum advance for the fuel mileage increase it can offer. Nevertheless, great news and I didn't have to pull the head.

In other good news, I passed my old car / out-of-province inspection yesterday and officially registered the car today! My tie-rod ends arrived a few days ago and I put them in right away and re-booked the inspection as soon as I was done. Thanks Willow Run K-F Parts; the tie-rod ends were just the ticket! I am very happy to see the car back on the road after probably fifty years of sitting around neglected. It was a lot of work, but not too much money and it's a real treat to drive around out in the country where I live.

Thanks also to everyone here at the K-F Forum for your advice and encouragement! I will be posting one or two more videos on Youtube, detailing the final projects on the Frazer and going for a final road test to show off the car. People get a kick out of it everywhere I go, and friends love riding in the spacious and luxurious interior.

I still have a pretty decent 1951 Kaiser Special to tidy up, so I'm sure I'll have more questions soon...

Cheers,

Scott
1947 Kaiser Special (2)
1948 Kaiser Special
1949 Frazer Standard
1951 Kaiser Special

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Thanks for the update Scott!  I've really enjoyed the videos, and love the methods you and the agents use to get a car back to a usable condition. Will be looking forward to some more videos, and........especially........Stella!  :)
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com