Author Topic: Starting a 1953 Kaiser deluxe?  (Read 1876 times)

Docs52

• My 1953 Kaiser Deluxe Sedan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starting a 1953 Kaiser deluxe?
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »
 ;D Hi Everyone again,
As I have said in the passed, I have a 1953 Kaiser Deluxe that I was told when received from previous owner that ran 3 years ago and it turned over so I know it is not locked up. I have done the following:
Replaced spark plugs & wires
Replaced all frayed wiring/ rewired overdrive relay to kick down switch + overdrive section of transmission  + new positive and neg. battery wires
cleaned and re greased shifter box on steering shaft
just need to get new accelerator pedal & overdrive kick down switch( if anybody has extra ones)
what is the best way to get it to started? any suggestions?
Thanks to all,
Doc Wasson

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting a 1953 Kaiser deluxe?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 02:52:40 PM »
?????  Not sure I understand question....here goes...

00. Put in safe location, notify keeper/next of kin, get hose/fire bottle,....cell phone...count fingers/toes
0.  Look underneath to see if any holes, parts hanging out...place in park/neutral...block wheels
1.  Check oil
2.  Check water
3.  Check fuel, add gas if needed.
4.  Put key in
5.  Turn to start position...
6.  See what happens,
7.  Go from there...

won't need the kickdown switch or grease in the shifter until it later... 

check/top trans. if going to run for more than a few seconds...

Not trying to be funny or smart A...yet........

If you've got one, then you're probably a car guy/gal/person, should know what to do...right? 

So, what more were you seeking here? 

Well, it might not have hurt to squirted some oil down those spark plug holes while they were out... and you might have checked voltage on battery, spun it over while plugs out (confirm not locked up/spread oil down wall), checked for spark off coil while spinning (pull coil wire from cap, put near engine head, turn over with switch on and watch for spark...don't hold it close to end...) 

yeah, maybe more than I first thought...said...

Good wishes with it.

Bob L.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »
One thing that will make starting easier is to preload the carb bowl with gas- you can access it by removing the 3/4" nut atop, just above the intake line from the  fuel pump. Trickle gas in until no more will pass through the needle valve and it starts to back up. Then replace the plug and filter and crank. Now you will not have to crank until gas is pumped up from the tank and into the bowl.Generally starts right up this way.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
Docs52 - I would point out the mistake I made the 1st time I tried to start a Kaiser - the distributor rotates COUNTER CLOCKWISE which is opposite to any modern engine you are going to mess with.
You can start the engine with a 12V battery - but don't run it more than a minute or 2 with the 12V battery and don't crank more than 10 seconds without allowing the starter to cool off.
If you had a lot of experience getting dead engines to start you could tell from the sound if the cylinders were getting fire or if fuel was getting to the cylinders and that is something that can't be taught with text.   
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 09:29:06 AM »
If it hasnt ran in three years id say you're gonna have to clean the points.....
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »
Start with the engine electrics.  Do you have good spark off the coil?  Do you have spark at each of the plug wires with the engine turning over.  No spark off the coil to distributor?  replace the coil before proceeding.

What is the condition of the spark plugs on the car?  if the plugs are rusted or otherwise look bad, replace the set.  DO NOT USE AUTOLITE A-7 OR CHAMPION J-8 TYPES; THEY BURN TOO HOT FOR TODAY'S GASOLINES!  Try AC 44's gapped to K-F specifications (I assume you have a factory shop manual, NOT the Chilton's; Chilton's do not have enough info on the mechanicals of the car).  You need to make sure you have good spark to the plug before trying to get gas into the car.

Remember that today's gasoline has components that attacks seals and rubber parts of the fuel line & if the car had gas in it when previously parked, that stuff sat and ate away at these items in fuel pump, carb and fuel lines.  I speak from past experience with K-F products I had.  After 2 years or so, I found that fuel pumps and the rubber fuel lines needed replacement.  You may also have to deal with crud that settled in gas tank and fuel lines.   

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
have you tried to start it yet.....its really a good idea to have a friend or 2 there to help maybe even a beer or 12,, a fire extinguisher ,,and dont bolt your battery terminals on real tight in case you have to yank them in a hurry.....and make sure you have a good fuel filter if your gonna try the tank it could pump up stuff that looks like it came from the black lagoon ......if you cant get fuel from the tank maybe run it from a jug just to see if it runs......spark,,,fuel,,,compression....it should run.....
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.