Author Topic: rear brake adjusters  (Read 847 times)

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
rear brake adjusters
« on: September 12, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
As I start to get into the Henry J and the things that can be troubles with an old car, I did manage to get the rear drum off, thanks to this forum, otherwise I'd still be lookin at the outside of the drum! the problem that I'm looking at now are the adjusters I've been soaking them for a few days now and this morning when the drum came off, started soaking them from both side and the buggers are not budging. Any ideas? I'm thinking the Auto Zone won't have new backing plates.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: rear brake adjusters
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »
I'd recommend keep soaking and keep trying they will turn eventually. Heat is also a method if you don't heat it too much to do damage. A propane torch may heat them enough to get them to loosen without damaging them.  I don't think there is a replacement available anywhere. 
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »
Thanks Fid, we'll keep at it, the drum removal process worked well, never saw anything quite like that before!

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
Do not try to turn them from the rear .You'll round off the square. Use a husky pair of vice grips on the inside rounds and work them back and forth. It will make no difference if you rough up the rounds. I use Kroil, but I think there are several good penetrants.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Mike Richards

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
Thanks