Author Topic: Removing Inside Door & Window handles  (Read 1461 times)

ford35rod

• View Profile
Removing Inside Door & Window handles
« on: September 15, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
Good Morning,  Does anyone know how to remove the door & window crank inside handles on a '55 Manhattan?  Is there a special tool needed?  My rear window is hitting something about half way down and I am trying to remove the door panel.  Any help would be appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Removing Inside Door & Window handles
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:43:37 PM »
If they are like other KF products, you press in on the escutcheon and you will see a pin that can be pushed out. Ice pick works well for pushing the pin out.  When the pin is out, remove the handle or window crank.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
'53 Manhattans are in fact like other products. One additional hint- when you push the pin out have something to catch it on the way down or you will be looking for another. I also have found this job to work better with 4 hands involved.

rqa040

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »
Before you take the handles and trim pad off,simply remove the arm rest. One or both screws may be interfering with the window regulator. I had this problem with my Studebaker Hawk. Someone had installed screws that were a tad to long.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
Good point rqa040 - I had this same issue with my Henry J. Installed the arm rest using screws from a Kaiser and they're slightly longer. Window regulator hit them when rolling the window down.  I did just a little grinding to make them a bit shorter and that did the trick.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

ford35rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your very helpful info.  This is a great forum & a great club.  Hope my membership application is approved.

ford35rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
I did check the arm rest screws and they were not the problem.  Purchased an ice pick and got the pins out and panel off.  A bolt came off one of the track pcs and it was hanging down hitting the bottom of the door inside.  All fixed.  Thanks for all your help.