Author Topic: Updates, conversions, tech tips, etc...  (Read 8146 times)

kndllmtt

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - kndllmtt
    • View Profile
    • Email
Updates, conversions, tech tips, etc...
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:53:58 PM »
I new here, So introductions first. I'm Matt and I'm working on a '51 Deluxe that I'm trying to get back on the road, but do it so I could potentially drive it every day.

So my queston is are there any tip/tricks to updating these cars that I should be aware of. I am also looking for a shop manual if anyone knows where to find one.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Updates, conversions, tech tips, etc...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:03:38 AM »
Hello and welcome.  I drive my 53 Dragon nearly every day with no updates.  Although, sometimes you might get stranded like I did the other day when my fuel pump started leaking.  But now worries, got that taken care of and got her back on the road.  Ben Walker has manuals on CD that are really nice http://www.kfnut.com/.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Harry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »
Hi, and welcome. Kaisers are great cars, I have a 48 Special and drive it everyday with no real problems, I go Thur state inspection and use it as you would any other car, fix it up and enjoy

kndllmtt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
Well thats good news. What kind of milage are you guys looking at? My big concern at the moment is the brake system. I've seen several people mention a disk brake converion, but not a lot of details about it, can anyone help with this?

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
I get around 17 mpg city with the hydramatic--not too bad.  I rebuilt my brakes (master + wheel cylinders, shoes, drums turned, hoses, some lines) but didn't convert them to disc.  They work very well and don't pull.  Good luck!

Harry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
I get between 17 to20 mpg the brakes that came with the car if in good shape work just fine

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »
The brakes on a 1951-55 Kaiser were considered oversize for the power/performance, etc of the standard Kaisers.  Component parts are easy to find...master cylinder is a 1949-51 Ford and wheel cylinder repair kits abound.   I drove my 1952 Kaiser deluxe sedan from Wisconsin to southern KY when Barbara and I moved there several years ago, and never had any kind of stopping condition that would require disc brakes.   We are now in the Cleveland OH area and will probably be here until we retire, maybe even after that.

Besides the Shop Manual you should also have the illustrated parts list, as a lot of parts vendors (and people selling parts at swap meets and club meets) tend to go by part number rather than description and vehicle type. 

Jack Mueller
Club Historian

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:39:13 PM »
I'm working on my 49 Frazer and the only thing I'm thinking of changing is the single master cylinder system to a dual system for safety reasons only. If you keep up on the single it's works fine but I feel safer with the dual system.
 Something like this on ebay...(check with an expert before changing it over.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wilwood-260-7563-Master-Cylinder-Remote-Tandem-Summit_W0QQitemZ390124314739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad538a073

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
this kit also has a *remote reservoir*

kndllmtt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »
But does anyone know where to get whole wheel cylinders? Mine have been sitting in a rust breaker solution for over a month now and show no sign of becoming un-seized.

kndllmtt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 12:44:08 AM »
That master cylinder my be a smart way to go, it is still cheaper than what I could come up with as a stock replacement.

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:13:29 PM »

kndllmtt, Try this place. They had the MC and all 4 wheel cylinders for my 49 Frazer for about $200.00 delivered. You have to call to get the parts. There not on the site.

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/

kndllmtt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
Has anyone one put a chevy L6 in these cars?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »
Yes, I know of one fellow who put a 250cid in a Henry J. I don't recall if he cut the firewall to fit, but I saw the car and he said the performance was alot better. I also know of a 53K with a Chrysler 225 slant six in it.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
KF Club member Fred Anderson put an in-line Chevy 6 with a Chevy automatic transmission in a 51 Frazer six or seven years ago.