Author Topic: HJ bumper jack stowage  (Read 1458 times)

shel

• View Profile
    • Email
HJ bumper jack stowage
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
Can anyone supply a photo of how the bumper jack and associated parts are stowed in a non trunk '52 Henry J? I think I have all the pieces, just don't know how they are held in place when not in use. Any info would be appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HJ bumper jack stowage
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »
The jack itself is unique.  And like most things associated with the Henry J, it was cheap and not that rugged.  Here's what the original HJ jack looks like -

Here's for the trunk lid model from the owner's manual-

Strangely enough, the '51 and '52 Henry J owner's manuals (which are actually fold-out pamphlets) do not even show  how the spare mounts or how to access it.

The Oct 1, 1950 issue of KF Dealer News shows only this picture -no jack visible which is why I just slide my jack over behind the tire.

The tire does have a J-bolt which hooks into the side of the trunk and a retainer with a large bolt on it to hold the tire in place. From all the info I have (Owner's Manual and Shop Manual) the jack just lays in there - no mounting hardware or methods shown or listed.

Here's the non-trunk model straight from the factory shop manual.

Since the jack is not visible, I concluded it is tucked over behind the tire.
Anyone else have any comments/info?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:11:11 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
Fid, you do nice work!

If I remember correctly. on models with a trunk, oversize tires do not fit. I don't know about the trunk less ones. It should be stressed that using the HJ jack is almost guaranteed to bend the bumper and crack the chrome at the points of contact. A light weight aluminum jack is available at Harbor Freight for about $40.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
over sized tires W O N T  fit the trunk less ones either... 8)
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
I know only a 5.90 will fit in those with a package shelf.  Those without a package shelf (be they a trunk lid model or not) can handle a 6.00 or a 6.40 in addition to the 5.90. Probably some others. But the limiting factors are the package shelf and the width of the tire well, not the trunk lid. My '53 has a package shelf and the 5.90 barely fits.  Anything bigger will not.
My '52 Vagabond has a trunk lid and fold down rear seat (hence no package shelf) and I've had a 6.40 in there for years. Removed it when I added the Continental Kit. I also had a 6.00 in there. I'm not sure how big you can go. I doubt a 6.70 (as used  on the late body Kaisers) would fit due to the tire well width.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:12:13 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
My 52 ALLSTATE had both a trunk, package shelf and a fold down rear seat. I should point out that it did not start out life as an ALLSTATE either. Vern Hunt never did without anything he wanted  that he knew how to build or adapt.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
I kept gloves, towels, tire iron, etc in the well located in the very rear section of both of my trunkless '51 HJs. This kept them from rolling around. Seems like my spare was a 5.90 while the ones on four corners were 6.40s