Author Topic: Henry J Conundrum  (Read 2313 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry J Conundrum
« on: September 24, 2015, 02:54:30 PM »
There is a Henry J for sale for $7,500. It needs paint, chrome,tires and the engine does not run. Add the cost of paint and chrome and you are at $13,000, more than I could recover in a resale Add the unknowns about the engine and the inevitable other stuff that you only discover after the buy and it is not a good financial deal. My health is not what it once was and the amount of  work is considerable.

Why am I lying awake at night stewing over this car. I should point out that I have owned 10 Henry Js and 1 ALLSTATE already. It's sort'a like Gibbs on NCIS and his running involvement with his three ex wives. Will this affliction ever cease?
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

shel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 11:03:39 PM »
Jim..it's calling to you as they all do. We see these derelict vehicles and once we see them we want to save them and they know it. My girl friend continues to remind me that I can't save them all. I'll fess up and tell you what I paid for the '52 Corsair Deluxe that I just purchased. $7000 and I have spent another $2000 in parts since the purchase. It needs all of the bright work redone, body work, paint, upholstery, etc. It does run and the brakes were done before I bought it. I won't make any money on this car, but to me that is not the point. I like the fact that they are fairly rare and you don't see them on the streets much. I already had 4 project cars in the cue before I got the HJ. I didn't need or want another car project until I saw the Henry J. Knowing my weakness, I had been avoiding the classic auto classifieds to curtail the torture I would feel every time I ran across something that I liked. I'm over 70 now and don't know how many projects are left in me, but the HJ has jumped to the front and I'm having a ball with it.
Shel

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
i feel your pain... i had the same with 55/56/57's(chevys)
over 100 of them, yes over a 100.
had to step off the reservation,
and go with Kaiser  --- hence Henry J to curb the addiction.
 8)
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »
It seems to be an addiction. Not sure why it occurs but the best treatment is to buy the car if you can!
Shel, I like your car.  A '52 with the correct hood ornament to boot.  Keep us informed as to your progress and of course, ask any technical questions here. There is plenty of HJ knowledge here and plenty of HJ BS elsewhere on the net!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Hollenway

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »
I think we can all relate to this " disease ".   I'm convinced that there is a " collector gene " that inhabits
our DNA and we are destined to be a part of the hobby from birth !!!!   

I can't tell you how many true old car folks I've talked with over my 66 years and we all seem to have
this one trait that lives deep within us.   

So - the bottom line is Jim...... we're right in there with you.....   We all suffer the same affliction.   

Enjoy the diagnosis - and if you will have enough left over to buy beans and toilet paper..... go ahead and buy the Henry J !!!!!   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:19:12 PM by Hollenway »

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
The most recent old car (truck) that found it's way to my driveway was going to be "lightly" restored just to the point of being driveable and able to pass TX inspection.  Nearly eighteen thousand dollars later here is what I wound up with.

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »
And now I am back lurking around this site wanting another Henry J.......

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 09:08:39 PM »
Alan... I am going to look at one tomorrow. I'll let you know if I pass on it.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »
I think I have owned 13 Willys Aeros so far. It is not so much a disease as it is a plague for it can be highly contagious. Everybody's symptoms manifest differently - you with Henry J's , me and my Aeros. Most every member of this club has it real bad because very few of us can say we have only owned one Kaiser - even I, the Aeroman, have owned 2 Kaisers and a Henry J in addition to the Aeros and several Studebakers, Nashes and Hudsons. At least it's not terminal and it can be enjoyed (except perhaps by the spouse).
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.