Author Topic: New here and have some questions!  (Read 4454 times)

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
New here and have some questions!
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »
Hi, I'm Kris.  Picked up this 51 Henry J a couple of weekends ago.  Car is about 90% rust free and supposedly original paint.  I have wanted one for quite a while and finally found one!  Here's some pics of what I have to work with.   

Now here are my main questions and concerns right now.  Hard to see in the pics but the door to quarter gap on the drivers side is pretty descent at the top, but down at the bottom it overlaps the quarter about 1/8". 

The passenger side is better and the door doesn't go over the quarter, but the gap is bigger at the top than the bottom. 

I see no possible way to adjust the door hinges other that in/out and up/down.  No front/back adjustment.  Do you think that when they redid the floor,  they didn't brace it properly and now the lower part of the firewall and door jambs are sitting farther back than they should be?  I plan on redoing the rockers as you can clearly see they aren't the right ones.  So as long as I have those out I was thinking about redoing the floor also cause I can't fit any kind of motor/trans in there with the way they did it.  Also when shut the doors line up almost perfect.  But the second you open them they sag pretty bad.  Is there anyway to fix this or does anyone make new ones?  I know the fender to door gaps are way off but that's because the front clip was removed and is just kind of sitting on there.  But as you can see the gaps are big at the bottoms ( passenger side is hitting the rocker, hence why I'm going to redo them).  But could the large gap at the bottom be because I am missing the firewall body supports?  They made new ones but I'm thinking the body might not be sitting level.  Thanks for any help/info.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:18:34 PM by Kris_51henry »

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: New here and have some questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »
First, welcome to the KFOCI forum! I hope you've joined the club as there's alot more to offer than just what's here on the website.

It looks like you have a decent builder and there's alot there to work with. To answer your question, yes, the issue with door alignment is directly related to the floor installation. Henry J's, because of the large doors, need to have things lined up correctly before floors are installed or you'll end up with an issue like that pictured.

About the sagging doors, it's due to bad hinges. They are prone to wear because the doors are so large. Fortunately, hinges are available thru vendors in the club.

It also looks like someone started to build a hot rod because the firewall has been heavily reconfigured.

Good luck with the project...keep us updated!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
Welcome Kris. Congrats on acquiring the J. It sounds as though you're aware of the issues with the floor pans and body mounts on the firewall.  It appears the car was originally a 1951 four cylinder model.
I don't know if you're planning on restoring it stock or if you plan to do a custom car. It looks like you have  good candidate to go either way.
Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what questions you have.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »
I would suggest the following service support materials that are available on eBay or through members who advertise in the KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN:

1.  Green/Black cover 1951 Henry J Illustrated parts list (this is the only HJ book to be fully illustrated)
2.  1951-52-53 Henry J factory Service Manual (updates and better info than in the initial 1951 edition)
3.  When you join the club (if you haven't already) check out the 1951 K513 information on the KFOCI HANDBOOK VERSION 4.0 CD.  You may find some items of interest there.

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:49:48 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Actually I do have some more questions.  Who makes the best fitting inner and out rocker panels?  I have seen multiple places that sell them but have heard there are a lot of them that don't fit well.  I went out and measured from the front door jamb to the rear door jamb on both sides and the drivers side is almost a quarter inch smaller than the passenger side.  Definitely looks like I have some work to do.  Just to let you all know I have 2 other projects going on right now so any progress will be slow, thought I'd give you all a heads up.  Also where exactly can I buy new door hinges?  It would be nice to have them installed when getting everything to line up before welding.  Oh and a few more questions! 

What is this for? I'm guessing factory antennae delete plug?

Is this something that was factory or did someone mount an aftermarket antennae?  Going to fill it in regardless just curious whether it's factory or not. 

Also, kind of hard to see, but if you look at the core support, there are 2 holes on each side with screens over them that are held down by screws.  Are these factory?  Kind of looks like someone crudely cut the holes out.  I can get a better pic if needed.   

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »
Hi Kris, the hole on the front cowl and by the rear window are not factory. I appears someone had aftermarket antennas on it at one time. Filling them is a good idea.  Regarding the two holes with the screen over them, those are factory. They are the air vent intakes. Air vents were optional on the J and those had "slugs" in them which needed to be knocked out to add the air vents which may be why it looks like a non-factory cut but they are original and yes, they are offset - passenger side one is lower than driver side.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:50:44 AM »
Door adjustments. I have made latteral adustments by placing washers on the bolts between the hinge and the door frame.Works and have had no negatives
The antenna holes. Looks like the spring mount for the old 102 inch CB antenna. I had one mounted in the medallion delete space on a Hj . I liked it ...woosh...woosh.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:37:01 AM »
I have found that the supplier that has the "best fitting inner and out rocker" for the Henry J  is C 2 C Fabrication.

http://c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php?cPath=26_27
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 02:01:06 AM »
Door adjustments. I have made latteral adustments by placing washers on the bolts between the hinge and the door frame.Works and have had no negatives

I was thinking about doing that but the bottom of the drivers door has to go forward. 

I have found that the supplier that has the "best fitting inner and out rocker" for the Henry J  is C 2 C Fabrication.
http://c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php?cPath=26_27

Good to know.  I was just looking at their website the other day, definitely think I'll go with them. 

Thanks for helping me out with identifying all the holes.  I for sure thought the one by the windshield would be factory.  So what about new door hinges?  Where can I buy those from?  Thanks for all the help everyone.  I've never had this many helpful responses so fast on a car forum!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:30 AM »
If you think this is helpful, wait until you take your questions to your first KFOCI meet.  Be sure to bring plenty of pictures!

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 11:55:05 PM »
Nice car  :( :(
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..