Author Topic: 51 kaiser coolant in base  (Read 2476 times)

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
51 kaiser coolant in base
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:38:44 AM »
My problem w/ coolant in the base is apparently the head gasket. As it was installed according to the instructions in the shop manual it would seem that I should use some type of sealant on the new gasket. What should I use?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 kaiser coolant in base
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »
Back when the cars were new, the service manual suggested that "Kaiser-Frazer Perfect Seal Gasket Paste" be used to help with the sealing.  This material is the same thing as Permetex Gasket Paste and was generally recommended for all makes of car or truck with a flathead engine. 

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
I like to use CopperCoat although I believe the great Smokie Yunick said just plain cheap silver spray paint would do as well.
If your gasket was leaking the head needs to be carefully removed and the gasket exaimed on both sides to see where the leakage was coming from. A gasket that had been installed for a long time would be easier to read.
Flathead engines are notorious for developing cracks between the valve seat and the cylinder but sometimes cracks develop between a head bolt hole and the cylinder. Also the cylinder head (despite how much iron there is in one) can crack.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:35:01 AM »
Did you have the head machined and magnafluxed to check for cracks?  Are you using a nos head gasket or a new one.  I have found on my 61 Ranchero the new gasket was thinner and with even the recomended torqe I couldn't stop my coolant leak.  I also used a generous amount of antisease on each headbolt and been good so far.  If you have to pull the head again be careful to not lay the head flat, the seam to warp easy.I don't recommend doubling the gasket unless you plan on getting a new auto an

Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:35:07 AM »
The gasket was new. I installed it with copper spray as I have done on a number of engines with good results. When I removed the head this time the gasket was not stuck to the block at all. I just lifted the head off with no prying. The gasket was stuck to the head so that I had to chisel it off. The leak appears to have been between the gasket and the block. I have a new gasket coming and I plan to install it with permatex this time unless someone has a better idea.