Author Topic: Questions about the Sunstar Henry J  (Read 4967 times)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Questions about the Sunstar Henry J
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
I've been trying to find out some information on the Sunstar Henry J miniature.  How many versions are there?  I see four colors (Arena Yellow, Cape Verde Green Metallic, Indian Ceramic, and Caribbean Coral Metallic) and two configurations, with trunk and without.  I also have seen what appears to be a stock number of "5091".  Can anyone tell me if the model comes with and without a trunk lid in all four colors?  And are there different stock numbers for the various combinations?  Thanks for any help!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

51henryj

Re: Questions about the Sunstar Henry J
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »
Hello Rabbit.. I think the Trunkless version is in only two colors.. Red and Yellow.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
Ok, then I'm looking for the Arena Yellow version with the trunk lid.  I haven't found this combination on e-bay recently and a quick check using Google hasn't turned up and info saying there even IS a yellow version with the lid.  My second choice would be the Indian Ceramic red color with the lid.  I have enough dark colored miniatures in my collection at present. I want to brighten it up!  :)
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:28:28 PM »
The two models with trunk lids are Cape Verde green and Caribbean Coral. The Arena yellow one and Indian Ceramic ones have no trunk lid. Interesting thing is, the Henry J was never available in Indian Ceramic. Nice color and model just the same.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:38:04 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »
Hi,

Relating to the comment on Indian Ceramic HJ models, I received an e-mail from someone about another company's plans to release a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door in large size, only to cancel it at the last minute.  The comment from one of the distributor's was that the company told them there were measurement issues and that the owner of the car that dimensions were taken off of either failed to tell them things about his/her car, or mis-stated things about the car.  The picture I have seen shows a Manhattan with two-tone paint work to look like a Jade Dragon with white vinyl top.  Wheel discs look a lot like the wire wheel covers (not wire wheels themselves) that K-F offered as a dealer-installed type accessory during the 1953 model year.

I tracked down the maker and asked if there is anything that can be done to get the project back on track.

Jack Mueller
Club Historian

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »
Would be fun to have.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:55:55 AM »
Any new Kaiser-Frazer-Willys models would be welcome.  I wonder why no one has done a Darrin, except Brooklin?  It would seem to be a good candidate for a nice scale model.  In my opinion canceling a project just because of one flawed car/owner must have meant that they were not fully committed to it to begin with.  I would gladly, happily commit my car for measurements when ever called upon for free.  Just for the privilege and to see my car in miniature would be a great thrill!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:58:07 AM »
I see from the Highway 66 Kaiser that Chrysler Corp owns/owned the rights to the name "Kaiser-Frazer Corp" apparently.  Thanks for the info on the Henry J models by the way!!  Now I still need to decide which one to get...
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:30:31 AM »
There has been a legal question for almost 20 years as to wether or not Chrysler Corporation (and that appears to be the "old" Chrysler Corporation these days) actually owns the name.  Information in the 1954 Kaiser Motors Annual Report indicates that during 1954, Willys Motors acquired spare parts inventories of Kaiser Motors along with tooling, fixtures and other items required to produce the 1954-55 type Kaiser Manhattan automobile.  The note, part of the foot note covering a loan to Kaiser Motors from Bank of America indicates that no intangible property (trade marks, names, etc) was involved in the transactions.  When this was brought to the attention of Chrysler's legal department they suddenly became unavailable for comment/response.  In any event, there is only sketchy documentation that American Motors renewed any of the old stuff during first round requirements (approx. 1980) for anything but Jeep related materials.  Also, during the 1980's Chrysler filed papers in an EPA case dealing with Willow Run and stated they did NOT have anything to do with Kaiser-Frazer Corporation, only Kaiser Manufacturing Corporation when it came to degree of involvement in enviornmental issues at Willow Run.

Just to see what the response was, I contacted the bankruptcy attornies to see if K-F trademarks, etc were available for sale and they indicated by failure to respond in any way that there was nothing, toxic or otherwise.

Jack Mueller
Club Historian

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »
Jack, do you think this may help explain the lack of Kaiser models until recently?  It's probably just a mater of demand, I imagine, or lack thereof.  It is very interesting that the names may now be in the realm of public domain. 
What does the Sunstar model say, if anything?  Thanks for indulging me on this trivial issue!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
Not having one of the Henry J models I don't know about the trademark issue.  All I know if what I've researched on the identification issue when I was asked to consult with the various parties involved in the Willow Creek EPA clean-up issue.