Author Topic: New KFOCI Handbook now in distribution  (Read 15105 times)

Thomas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New KFOCI Handbook now in distribution
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »
I received the calender and the quarterly early when they were first sent and the package was secure but no cd was enclosed. Were they shipped in the early packages?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »
The dates on the early postings make it clear that the KFOCI HANDBOOK CD was sent in 2009, not 2010.   If you did not recieve a cd in the fall of 2009 and were a member, you need to contact the club Secretary as he got the extras back then, but I understand that at the 2010 National Convention the decision was made NOT to send CD's out to members who joined since.  Can someone who was there at the business meeting please confirm this?

TomsHenryJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
Unfortunately I was a few months late joining, missed the CD last year.  But enjoying the Calendar for this year!  Is the KFOCI Handbook in the Mfg Fund order sheet ($20 as i recall) the CD being discussed here?
thanks all
Dave

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 05:55:55 AM »
The KFOCI HANDBOOK being discussed is NOT the item in the manufacturing fund.  That is the Third Edition which was never completed by the people working on it (ask them why).   Because it was never finished and the cost of printing had skyrocketed over the last 10 years, I started from scratch and, over a 2 year period, did something on almost every K-F product, assembly plants, reading the tags on cars, etc.  It went out as a CD so that in future, it would be easier to do updates and could be distributed at a much lower cost. 

It should be noted that there are no macros or other copyguards on the CD.  Additionally there is no violation of copyright, etc, if someone makes a copy for you.  The idea was to get as much information out as possible to the members.

KFOCI HANDBOOK VERSION 4.0 is a "living document" meaning that whenever something gets added to my files that can be useful, the appropriate sections are updated so that in time, if the club can afford it (2,000 copies cost less than $1,900 including artwork, case, etc) we can either issue update 4.1 or 5.0 (the latter if I can find someone who can help with a couple macros to make access of material simpler).   

TomsHenryJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 08:42:59 AM »
Thanks for the info - and for putting the living file store together!  I'll check around the area and see if i can hook up with someone to copy their's - but any chance there are CD's left i could buy? 

Or better yet, if there is a file provision to the forum or the KFOCI site why not post the files in the same organization as the CD to the net?  As long as it requires membership to get to the area there would be some quid-pro-quo for the club.  Several of the clubs I belong to (my interests include other vintage American cars, British bikes, and Honda bikes) do exactly that.

thanks again!
Dave

Thomas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »
Well here it is close to time to pay dues again and still waiting for some membership materials/package as noted in the new member information page. All is not lost I guess as I have 8 monthly, 3 quarterly, and one nice calendar for my $45. Interestingly I find my last name was omitted in the quarterly/roster issue (the first is ok) but not anywhere else. I would really like to have the new Handbook CD and I probably would be happy! So far I have sent 6 emails (about 1 a month) waited for reply before sending the next one. One reply & only one said they would mention it to someone at the next meeting last year. Did talk to a very nice gentleman on the phone who said he would leave a message. I have sent the emails to the club officials so I thought maybe someone in the forum would be of some help as they have always been in the past. Any Ideas?   

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »
Email sent.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
I've been a member for less than 1 year, started in April 2010, and I didn't recieved the CD either. Very nice calendar and quarterly. I sure would like to get a CD.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »
More people have viewed this post than we have club members; go figure!!!
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 12:37:24 AM »
I've only been a member since Feb 2010. So I too did not get the Handbook CD.Also left out of the roster issue. That's water under the bridge at this point. I would very much like to have a CD as well. I do get the newsletter, quarterly and this years calender. Putting it up here or to a protected ftp site would be the best way for everyone to get it.
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 05:50:48 AM »
It is not possible to post it for people to download, it is over 300MB total size.  There are 698 printed pages to this version;  the update may end up being closer to 800 pages when finished.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
Jack, If you want it posted I will post it for you.  That would make it available for our new members, then they too can share in all your hard work and great information!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:22:20 AM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »
My wife and I would be willing to help as well. Just need to decide where to post it
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
Jim B I am curious how much bandwidth you isp provides you--it must be unlimited!
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
It is unlimited.  Only limit is how long you are willing to wait for the information to download.  My attitude is that over time speeds will increase and we will all wonder why in the past, we  thought a 3 MB file was huge.  The Quarterly Downloads are slow now but by the time I have them all uploaded they will be fine.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com