Author Topic: Differences Between Manual Trans Engine & Auto Engine?  (Read 969 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Differences Between Manual Trans Engine & Auto Engine?
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:44:18 PM »
Been looking for a new engine for my '53. I discovered lots of cracks in the block during the tear down. Fellow forum member here has a manual trans engine out of a '54 that I might be able to go get. My car is a Hydramatic car. Can anyone tell me what I will need to do to make the manual trans motor work with my Hydramatic? I still have everything from my original motor so getting the right parts is not a problem. I just need to know which parts differ between the two engines.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:11:41 PM by shadetree77 »
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Differences Between Manual Trans Engine & Auto Engine?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:12:45 PM »
Main things are crank and flywheel., so if you have everything from the hydro engine you should be able to piece it together.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 06:38:47 AM »
You will need the 1951 Illustrated Kaiser parts book and the 1952-53 Kaiser Supplement (preferably the one with the 1953 cover date as it contains updates not in the 1952 dated version of the supplement) to verify all the other parts.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »
hydromatic crank will fit standard block no problem. Hydromatic crank has different size hole and diameter on back end of crank but rest fits. Flywheel different. Concur use standard block but hydro crank flywheel