Author Topic: Continental 6cylinder engine rebuild question  (Read 1368 times)

MAG473

• View Profile
    • Email
Continental 6cylinder engine rebuild question
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
Is it possible for the connecting rod to contact a cam lobe if the cam is out of time?  Or  if the crankshaft is turned (without timing chain attached) and cam is not turning, can a connecting rod strike a lobe?   I am attempting  to finish a rebuild that someone else started.
Had trouble with camshaft end play and then ran into this interference problem.  Any ideas or information is appreciated.  Wayne

IowaTom

Re: Continental 6cylinder engine rebuild question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »
Wayne - I have no idea as to the correct answer, but if you're anywhere near Des Moines, Iowa, I have an engine from a '54 Manhattan complete but not running that you're welcome to have for parts or rebuild.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
MAg473: In the KF flat head, the camshaft only opens and closes the valves, so the answer is
no the connecting can not hit the camshaft The connecting rod connects the piston to the
crankshaft. It does not matter if the timing chain is removed for the connecting rods to work. The valves would not be moving if the chain is off as the cam is not turning.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 12:44:21 PM »
What are you getting interference with is it when you turn the crank its hitting something or is it when you turn the cam
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

MAG473

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
Turned out the wrong cam was installed in this engine when it was rebuilt, who knows how long ago.  The connecting rods were hitting the cam lobes.
     I found a shop near Chicago that specializes in Continental engines.    www.montesequipment.com     He had the correct new camshaft in stock.   Very helpful with a large inventory of parts.  I highly recommend this shop if your looking for help or parts for the continental engine.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »
Wow, the last time I remember a weird problem like that was when a friend of mine had a six cylinder and we found the
camshaft broke in two when we took the engine apart. This caused some of the cylinders to have compression and some
had no compression.