Author Topic: 54 Manhattan  (Read 1625 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan
« on: December 16, 2015, 10:34:24 PM »

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »
Remember someone mentioned that 54's were rare. I think they all survived.  I can't figure out where this one is (Orange-  Texas or So Cal) but once again another 54 survivor.   
No old cars owned.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 02:35:33 AM »
Map shows Santa Ana Freeway, so must be CA.  If that car is worth that price then the one that I am trying to sell is worth $5500.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »
A lot of people "saved" 1954's in the later 1950's because they were still good running cars and had next to no resale value as GM and Chrysler Corporation put trading allowances on certain independents to encourage their dealers to get people out of the "orphans" and into their new cars.  One of the Pontiac dealers in the Milwaukee WI area took a 1954 in trade on a car in 1957 and the net trade in allowance on the car was only $150.00.

It should be noted that over 50% of the Kaiser-Darrin's built are still on the road, and that the 1953 Dragons also have a lop-sided survival rate compared to the average.

Lastly, what someone asks for a car is not necessarily what it is worth or what they may be offered.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »
Remember someone mentioned that 54's were rare. I think they all survived.  I can't figure out where this one is (Orange-  Texas or So Cal) but once again another 54 survivor.

There seem to be so many '54's at meets and in the hands of club members that you may be right - every one has survived! Of course we all know that at least one or two have been scrapped over the years!
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
About 30 years ago I was looking for better fenders for my 54 and Dwight Dehnart, a member from the western end of the state, responded to my plea. He was once a KF dealer and when the company quit selling passenger vehicles he was so upset he used his remaining parts stock for fill in his back yard.

I arrived to pick up a 12K mile 54 Manhattan that formerly occupied a parking spot behind a local business. The windows were broken and the tires barely held air but the car was all there and good for parts. I know this car was scrapped because by the time I was finished stripping it, there wasn't much left.

About Dwight, he must have sensed that I didn't believe his story so he handed me a shovel and told me where to dig. Sure enough, I hit pay dirt...or should I say, K-F parts! I don't recall what I dug up - it must not have been worth saving.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:25:37 AM by joefrazer »

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:11:12 AM »
Again those are interesting stories and comments from everyone.  Sure everything is relative, but CL with all of it's warts as a marketplace, at least provides an opportunity to see what is still out there. 

The big production years for KF were initially 47-48, and maybe 1953.  We see a relatively lot of 1951 and 1953 cars.  But when you throw in the low production 1954 year, we do seem to see a proportionately large number still left.

I wonder if any of those cars buried might still be decent but he probably shoved them in there.   It's an organic environment but fairly "dry".  Can you imagine digging them out and finding interior pieces intact and usable?
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »
The tale of the 1957 Plymouth supposedly buried in a "Time Capsule" by a city in OK gives you an idea what the car you dug up would look like today. 

Biggest single production calendar year was 1948 (mix of 1948's and about 2/3 of the 1949's built) followed by 1947 and 1950.  1953 was edged out by 1949 (a few thousand units or so).

Certain year/make/model cars were saved by people in general.  Dad almost bought that 1954 Kaiser I mentioned; he could have had it for $175.00 with a 30-day 1,000 mile warranty!

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
In the fifties automatics were all the rage. My dad wanted to trade his 48 Frazer Manhattan for a
new '55 Studebaker. They didn't even want it ever though he was willing to buy if they gave him
$90 in trade. He was angry so we left. On the way home we passed a Lincoln Mercury dealer and
they had two '53 Manhattans with automatics for sale. One was green with an ivory top for $875.
The other was pea****** blue with the ivory top for $895 being very low mileage. My mom loved
that blue so he made a deal for $800 and the Frazer. He drove that car for 16 years. Imagine a
two year old Kaiser Manhattan going for $895 of less !