Author Topic: gas tank fill spout  (Read 1999 times)

lessthan8

• View Profile
    • Email
gas tank fill spout
« on: December 25, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
Anyone know where I might find a fill spout for a 52 Manhattan? E-mail: limeyt44@gmail.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: gas tank fill spout
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »
This is the same set-up as 1951 and 1953 Kaisers; pieces of pipe with a rubber hose piece.  Check the diagram in the parts book.  There have been some NOS sightings at swap meets and K-F events;  also, a good used set-up from a parts car can work find.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »
Check with Larry Barker in AZ, he's in the KF Club Directory.  All KF products used the same gas filler hose which is 2.25" ID.  I bought mine at the local O'Reillys Auto Parts.  They had a "stick" that was about 3' and would cut in 12" lengths; cost was about $18.00 as I recall.  Be sure the hose you purchase is designed/specified for gasoline service application.  You'll only need a piece about 5" and (of course) you'll need a couple of clamps to connect the hose to the upper fill tube and lower tank tube.  If your tube is missing and the lines been open to your gas tank, there's a good chance you've got a bunch of contamination in your tank.  A simple drain may suffice but if the tank is empty (or near empty), removal, flush, clean, and review of your sending unit is also in order.  Larry also has the sending units for sale, new replacement stock.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
Jacks correct in another post that having a parts list is indispensible when owning/restoring these cars.  As a parts vendor myself, it's difficult (i.e. frustrating) to understand "you know, that thing-a-ma-jig down by that doo-hickey!"  "Professional restoration shops" (obviously restoring their 1st Kaiser), are the worst.  They don't mind charging big bucks for a restoration but avoid investing in a parts list.  Grrrrr. 

Anyway, the filler tube hose is in Group 3.52, part number 200462 for all KF products.  My 51 Parts List shows it as 3" with no change in the 52/53 Parts List Suppliment.  The one I removed from my 54, however, was original and 5".  I went back with the 5".  4" would work OK but (IMHO), 3" doesn't give much on each side of the seam between the 2 parts.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »
The hose I got from NAPA has  24036 Gates marked on it.  An internet search shows this to be a vulco coolant hose, but that's what I used on my '51 Frazer.  It seems to be holding up unlike others I've used from an RV place that swelled up in a matter of days.  We really do need to get the part number 100% confirmed for future reference.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan