Author Topic: What is the lifespan of a 226?  (Read 1298 times)

Kaiser man

• View Profile
What is the lifespan of a 226?
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:41:02 AM »
I was wondering how many miles a 226 can go before needing to be rebuilt?
1948 Kaiser Special-Work in progress(when done it will be a daily driver)
1977 Jeep CJ5(daily driver)
1997 Ford Taurus(daily driver)
Have a couple more junk worthy vehicles from the 50's-70's

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: What is the lifespan of a 226?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »
The 226 is a good engine - provided is well taken care of. Keeping the oil clean, the coolant fresh, and in proper tune and the engine will provide around 100K miles of service. Typically, however, at around 70K miles a valve grind is usually necessary, especially given today's poor fuel.

My 54K had an engine swap into a rebuilt unit at about 200K. The first engine had a valve replacement at about 100K but finally needed replaced when the block cracked due to a blown head gasket.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
John Parker, one of the veteran engine mechanics in the club, had over 250,000 miles on the one in his 1948 Kaiser Special in the late 1970's.

The actual life of an engine starts with the foundry where the major castings are made (block, head, exhaust/intake manifolds, etc) the plant where the engine is assembled and transportation of components and engine to the car assembly plant.  Having been an engineer in the engine field for around 5 years or so in my career, I know that the closer to meeting nominal dimensions for various parts  of the engine is significant as to how it will run out over time.

The life expectancy of the 226 like any other old car engine of the period is, as Jim said, dependent in large measure on how the engine was cared for including how religious the oil change, timing, and other general servicing was performed per the manufacturers specifications.  There are still people finding cars that have not run for over 30 years but, with a bit of TLC in set-up and use of things like Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders to open up oxidation areas (if they exist), it has been found that the engines will turn over and start if the coil, distributor, etc are still in working condition.  You will see some of these events on YouTube and other social media.

Of course there are some cars found with less than 30,000 apparently documented original miles on them that have blocks that deteriorated over time and cannot be rebuilt. 

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:53:45 PM »
how well does the marvel mystery oil work....sometimes i can start my car and it will smoke for a while but usually it never smokes could it be a sticking valve......
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.