Author Topic: paint  (Read 1463 times)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
paint
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »
wanted the PAINT CHIP for tropical Green and the formula  i have been getting conflicting info on my 53 dragon info from Fred Walker It's listed as 99 frosted Holly Green Fred said tis the same as jade tint, two magazines claim it's a fancy name for tropical green who is right?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: paint
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »
First off, your car color is a lacquer if it is a Kaiser Dragon...most other K-F colors for 1953 were hi-temp baked enamel.

Second, According to the DuPont Chart for 1953 Kaiser colors, 099 is listed as Jade Green Metallic and was same color as #'s 202, 643, 442 (two-tone, upper color) 443 (two-tone lower color), 714 (two tone lower color) and 715 (two-tone upper color).  Ditzler also calls the color 099 Jade Green Poly; polly was their term for a metalic type finish. 

Your PPG automotive finishes (Ditzler) jobber can mix the color without a problem, or so I am told by PPG Corporate.  What they have done is set up a computer based spectrometer at their color library.  It scans the company reference paint chip for the color (use the KF # and name) and it creates the formula based on current production mixing colors and tints.  There is no charge to the jobber for getting the mixing instructions (the figuring is that he sells you the paint) but don't expect the jobber to pass the mixing formula on to you.

As far as Fred Walker goes, he is no longer alive and I understand that the family will be auctioning off the cars and the trailer truck loads of parts later this year if they cannot get someone to buy the whole thing in bulk (asking price approx. $410,000 USD).