Author Topic: My Grandfather's 1954 Frame off Manhattan  (Read 936 times)

mynameiseric1

• View Profile
    • Email
My Grandfather's 1954 Frame off Manhattan
« on: August 05, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
I have a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan that had a full frame frame-off restoration about 5 years ago.  It belonged to a relative. I still need to add the badges/emblems and side mirror and heater.  The window in the back is not the three-way.  I'm not sure what to do next as I really do not have the room for it.   :-\  Is there a good event or place online I could go to see if there would be interest among people who are into Kaisers about buying it?  The interior is all original and clean and it has a bunch of pictures that show the restoration process he took.  It's awesome on the outside too and I can try and take more pictures next week when I get the car home.  It's a nice car, but I'm not real sure what it is worth or what I should do with it if I keep it.  I can't see driving it much and that is a concern.  I guess I'm looking for suggestions.  Has the overdrive and is a manual 3-speed the speed booster.  Thanks, Perry.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: My Grandfather's 1954 Frame off Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »
Nice looking car! What you have is a 1954 Kaiser Special. In our club we commonly refer to this version as an “early Special” because the base car itself is an unsold 1953 Manhattan that was refitted with 1954 sheet metal. They’re not common as few were assembled.

mynameiseric1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 04:30:58 PM »
Thanks so much.  Since it was a 53, does that mean they also added the super charger/over drive?  It's really strange with a manual.  I'm fine in first gear, but have to engage the OD once in 2nd.  Strange.  I have enjoyed working on it, though it is mostly finished.  He did 95% of the work (he said!).  It is very quiet on the road.  Someone saw me in it a month ago near Toledo and offered me $7,000 for it.  I'm now thinking of keeping it and joining the club.  And coming to the rally in September.  So, the window then in the back is correct?  I thought I would need to replace it.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 06:07:40 PM »
1954 Kaiser Specials, both early and late series versions, were not factory equipped with super chargers. If you car has one, then it was either a dealer add on - unlikely - or more probably added by an owner.

Overdrive can only be engaged once the car reaches 28 mph which is why you’re in second gear before it’ll engage. Overdrive was a factory option.