Author Topic: Horns  (Read 927 times)

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
Horns
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »
OK guys here I am again with another question, is there a illustrated parts manual for a 54 Manhattan ? That would help a guy like me that has no knowledge of what "use to be there" part numbers are great, and I have those, but without a visual some things are hard to understand, the Model A I restored was easier in that respect, I could see what was missing and replace the required parts, not so with " Mr. Kaiser ", stuff is missing but I don't know what in some cases. Hope everyone understands what I am trying to say. Now with all that said, I am trying to make my horns work, the horns themselves work, I removed the horn ring, the wire had tape around it and was cut off at the  end of the steering box so I just pulled it out, I would think there would be a rubber grommet and a spring somewhere but there isn't. The horn relay has several terminals and one with a cut wire that is plugged into a connector on the outside of the horn relay, is this where the wire from the steering wheel connects? I have purchased a Standard Brand HR 144 relay it has only 3 terminals and no outside connector like the original, I think I can figure out what wire goes where, I have the Shop manuals but they don't show this "extra" wire. If someone has a drawing or picture of the column with the horn ring removed or the relay it would be helpful, thanks guys.
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Horns
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »
Bob, I can help get you started with your questions and am sure others will help as well.

First off, no, there is no illustrated parts list for the 54.  The last one was 51 and then parts lists suppliments for the 52/53 & 54 (55).

Yes, the wire from behind the horn bar in the steering wheel travels down the steering shaft out the bottom of the steering box gear housing, and over to the "plug" on the original horn relay. No rubber grommet or spring that I've ever seen.  These 54 relays are almost impossible to find so if your's is working, I would keep using it.  You can likely get the aftermarket one to work as well but again, it wouldn't be original.

These horn bars can be very finicky.  I finally gave up on mine and installed a small push type horn button under my dash (all it is is a grounding device really).  Not trying to discourage you but all things have to line up just right to get the horn bar to ground against the wire end.

There's a grounding cup there behind the horn bar that's surrounded by a rubber ring to seperate the parts and add to flexibility of the "system."  There was an old Quarterly article that showed how to take one of the 53 horn insulator rubber rings and trim it to fit so that might be worth looking into if you're trying to get the system back to original condition.

What might be best is for you to post photos showning exactly what you have behind your horn bar so that we can offer advice, indicate what's missing, etc.?

I no longer have my 54 so am unable to take any photos to help you.

Hope this helps...Mike
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:08:14 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Horns
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
Mike,
 Thank you very much for taking so much time to answer my questions. This car is going to be a driver and I will work to "restore" the horn ring and original wiring someday, knowing now that the wire from the steering column went to that plug on the relay helps a lot, I will simply ground the relay to test it, if the relay works fine I will use it if not then I will use the replacement relay I bought and for now add a push button as you did under the dash. I like to keep things as stock as possible but I need a horn for now to pass state inspection, I will get some pictures of the mechanism under the horn ring and post them as soon as the weather warms a little, thanks again.
Bob
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr