Author Topic: Kaiser Darrin Gas Cap  (Read 4774 times)

bob

• View Profile
Kaiser Darrin Gas Cap
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »

I was looking at the two Kaiser Darrins in my warehouse last week and noticed one of the gas caps was painted the same color as the body of the car and the second car contained a metal cap. Can anyone tell me if the origional caps are suppose to metal or painted? Interestingly, the cars were produced very close together on the assembley line so my guess if one of them is not correct. Any help from experts will be appriciated.

Bob Morris

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Darrin Gas Cap
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
I brought this topic up a couple of years ago as I see pictures of both styles.  No one seemed to know the answer at that time but maybe someone with a parts book could answer it.  Try Terry Zeug as he recently sold his low mileage Darrin.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
Darrin gas caps were painted the same color as the car. Since most lost their paint fairly soon after use, the stainless steel version was also used (borrowed from Willys trucks). For originality, painted is correct.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
Fid,

Which HJ Parts List do you see that about the Gas Cap? I looked in the one issued Nov 1951 (page 26) and it just states "CAP" I always ASSUMED that the painted cap were used of the 4 cyl and the stainless steel on the 6 cyl (deluxe). Now I am thinking I was all wrong and need to get my notes updated. The black-n-white picture I have of my car back in 1959 looks as though it has a painted gas cap. It is the same shade of 'white-ish' as the body and not of the chrome/stainless items.

Ref: .."primer for finish"

Best,

Mark
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
Ooo, suffering from bad recall again. You are correct, it doesn't state that in the HJ parts book. I thought it did last time I looked (which was years ago) which supports the theory that they were replaced with stainless ones if needed. I must've been looking to see if they were "prime" at one time to verify and thought that's how I remembered it.  Oh well, previous post removed.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:54:51 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
Good morning - I do believe they are supposed to be body color. I read something about that in some old written info somewhere when I was researching my Darrin. But then again, I see a lot of Darrins that are "100% restored and correct" with door handles and landau bars on backwards ....

Gary, "Darrin 145"

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
Post removed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:53:40 PM by joefrazer »

bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »
Thanks guys.... good feedback from the group. Any additional comments are welcome as the debate continues.

Bob Morris

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Darrin Gas Cap and Judging Standards
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
I would be very cautious of believing everything that is in the website mentioned above.  Some of the items listed are incorrect.  Several of us are working on detailed judging standards for the Darrin.  We are using factual evidence rather that hearsay and suppositions that have permeated Darrin "facts", and judging, for many years.  These standards are a work-in-progress and will be published shortly.  I have been gathering facts by personally talking to owners of original cars!!!

Editor Darrin Newsletter/Darrin Registry