Author Topic: SPAM on the Darrin Forum  (Read 2149 times)

kaiservagabond

• MSN Messenger - kvagabond@geusnet.com
    • View Profile
SPAM on the Darrin Forum
« on: December 26, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »
To whoever this may concern.

How did Richard Greene get to posts all of this SPAM on our forum pages.  I was trying to get some information and could not find it because of that Spam.  Interesting indeed.  And who is Richard Greene anyway.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SPAM on the Darrin Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:48:55 AM »
In case you did not notice, almost all departments in the forum were hit by spammers in the last several weeks.  The names are fakes as one would expect.

At present, this forum allows members and non-members on site;  it should be noted that thanks to the help given some of the non-members, they have joined the KFOCI. 

Do we want to change access and limit it?

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »
Do we want to change access and limit it ?? Gee, I would say yes ! The KFOCI is the only forum I frequent that does not limit access. The others are all limited, at least for the first few posts, and require the administrator to view them before they get posted ! The Amphicar forum was all but shut down because of spam and now requires a probationary period. Or we could just wait until the forum folds.

Just my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation)

Gary.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
We were shut down twice a couple of years ago and it took a very long time to get it up to speed again.  I do not understand why we can't have a waiting period before new members can post.  Spammers will not wait!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't access the forum yesterday morning because it said the server was over its bandwidth, or something like that.  I'm assuming it was all the spam.  It really is a problem and I would be in favor of limiting access somehow, although I don't know what the best way to go about it is.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
That's a tough one. I am admittedly a non member. I am a member of only one club presently - the Buick Club of America. I have been a Walter P Chrysler Club member, a Peerless Club member as well as Olds and Cadillac LaSalle Club member.

One membership is not expensive but when you are a "generalist" like me, getting 4-5 $40 to $50 memberships due annually can cost money.

I am a forum hog. I get on the AACA forums daily and have left about 3300 posts in the last 4 years or so. My main contact with KF enthusiasts is through this forum and frankly, there is not much activity.

But when there is, especially when it is purely historical in nature, I love it. I am joining because of the forum and need to support a run at a 49 Virginian and hopefully a 49 Frazer.  But at the same time I need to renew my BCA membership ($50) and want to join the AACA and Frazer Club so I will expend $200 in the next 4 weeks on all of these memberships. That doesn't even include a couple of other memberships I covet.

No old cars owned.