Author Topic: Starting the engine  (Read 1569 times)

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Starting the engine
« on: June 12, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
Got my 1951 Kaiser Special running really good but a few things....
It won't start without a spray of gas in the carburetor first, just started doing that, but then runs perfect.
Re did some things on the brakes, pads are new as are the brakes hoses... I'm wanting the brakes to grab earlier than they are now, I have to have the pedal all the way down to the floor. You would think that you could adjust the pads to spread outwards, but you can't. I bled the brakes, fluid is full.
Suggestions?
1951 Kaiser Special

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Starting the engine
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:29:22 PM »
The shoes are adjustable. On each backing plate should be two adjuster cams that are held in place on the back of the plate with large nuts. Loosen the nut and while turning the drum with your hand, use a 5/16 open end wrench to turn the smaller slotted tab sticking out of the large nut. You want the brake shoe to drag slightly on the drum. When that happens, hold the tab with the 5/16 wrench and tighten the larger nut with a 9/16 wrench. Do this for the other shoe and all others. This will adjust the shoes correctly and prevent excess pedal travel.

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:40:34 PM »
I really appreciate the response... I didn't notice anything like that on the back, but wasn't looking. The whole brake assembly seemed really basic, I don't remember anything that even resembled and adjuster.
1951 Kaiser Special

wilhelm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
My '52 Manhattan is the same ... won't start without a spray of gas in the carburetor.  This is my first Kaiser.  Are they all like this?  Is the cure an electric fuel pump for starting?
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:02:32 PM »
The need to prime the carb usually means it needs rebuilt. A worn accelerator pump can cause hard start issues. The leather facing on them doesn't do well with today's gasohol.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 07:38:24 AM »
If you have to put gas in it its probably the accelerator pump....or the choke maybe not closing.....look down the carb with a light and paddle the gas it should squirt some out......when you first start a car its supposed to pump out a little fuel and close the choke.....
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »
If you are going to rebuild it ...go to chicago carberator online ...i just bought their kit and its great.....it has the ethanol resistant pump and gaskets and it has all the springs and everything.....i got mine for around 50 bucks......
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.