Author Topic: Leaking manifold and burning white smoke  (Read 1003 times)

mr.c

• View Profile
    • Email
Leaking manifold and burning white smoke
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:04:53 PM »
So started out with a noise in my rear hub on my 53 deluxe.  Cannot get the hub off. Had it off last year and now it is welded on. Actually broke my hub puller and did a number on the lug bolts. Gonna go rent the proper drum puller and beat the ever living crap out of it next. I re threaded the hub and nuts and now they have a lot of slop.  Looks like my tap and die set must be miss matched sizing  wise.  Gonna have to tap out to bigger size and try to find bigger bolts.  Not happy. So now I cant pull the drum to fix that dragging noise thats going on inside intill i re thread the holes.  I guess i can use some 1/2" treaded rod and nuts.   Gas gauge stopped working so tore it apart and  found the float had a hole in it.  Thx to whomever posted that on here cause i almost ordered a new sending unit but luckily thats all it was.  Epoxied and re installed. Works like a charm.  Tried to fire it back up and it was running awful.  cleaned the carb and after three tries got the float set right now its running good but smoking like fog machine.  Theres no antifreeze in the oil but now i noticed a leaky manifold and some oil.  Been a trying last couple days to say the least.
 Looks like ill be pulling the engine sooner than later.  Had a rear seal leak any way but it was tolerable.  Getting frustrated to say the least since I was planning on selling her to a new kaiser lover and cant sell it like this since im not a dirtbag.  Can any one recommend a good gasket set and possible fix to the smoking issue before i go insane.
 Thx.  I believe ive earned a cold one.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leaking manifold and burning white smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
White smoke indicates water leaking past the head gasket and into the combustion chamber. A head gasket and rear seal can be
replaced in the car. Not too expensive but labor intensive. I bought a electric torque wrench and pulled the head bolts quickly if
none break. I suggest loosen the head bolts with a ratchet and then the electric if you have one. Soak the head bolts a day before
with PB Blaster to break the rust loose. A trick to break the drum loose is to put torque on the lug nuts with a puller and then support
the axle with wood blocks. Then walk around the drum with a LARGE hammer banging the drum over and over. Take you time and it
will come off. As you do this increase the torque just slightly if repeated banging doesn't break the drum loose. This should prevent
breaking/stripping lug nuts. If you are in a high humidity region, put a drip of oil on you finger and spread around the hub to stop
rust forming between drum and hub. A drop of oil is not enough to get into the break shoes. Be patient. Good luck.

mr.c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
Hope that its a leaking gasket.  I Screwed up once and went for a drive with out putting antifreeze in the water in my flathead ford.Wouldnt be a big deal except i forgot about it and put my truck away for the winter.  You shoud see what -30 c does to an engine when it freezes. Cracked the block completely beyond repair.  Sad day really.  Guess ill yank the heads if I get a minute.  Im doing a frame off on my 51 Ford f1 and its taking a lot of my time.  One of these days something will go right I hope.  Thx for the info.

mr.c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
I had water in the fuel.  Borrowed a bad jerry can from my dad.  Ripped the gasket  carbs being rebuilt.  I suspect all is well