Author Topic: Green Darrin sold at Sotheby's in Florida  (Read 621 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Green Darrin sold at Sotheby's in Florida
« on: May 26, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »
My new Classic Car magazine came in the mail with an announcement that a green mostly original Darrin with new top and paint but a 61 year ownership sold at Sotheby's auction last month in Ft. Lauderdale.  Maybe some of you know the car.  The picture looks good and the car sported wire wheel hubcaps and emblems on the front fenders.  The car brought $83,600.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Green Darrin sold at Sotheby's in Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:08:39 AM »
This is down considerably from the $125,000 - $152,000 range for Darrins in 2017.  This could be a blip and not a true indicator of a major market downturn on the vehicle type.  Darrins have always been the high water mark for K-F cars and if the price is taking s 50K+ nosedive in 2018, this does not fare well for other K-F products.  Anyone know of other Darrin sales since September 2017 (condition, price, etc) to put this sale into perspective?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Green Darrin sold at Sotheby's in Florida
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:45 AM »
I think this car was both well sold and well bought. While it was said to have new paint, the rest of the car needed attention - tired chrome, an engine bay that begged for attention, and a chassis that needed restored all weighed in to limit the car's selling price. Well restored cars will command healthy six figure sums while the rest of the field will lag far behind.