Author Topic: CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS ELECTRICAL PROBLEM 1952 KAISER MANHATTEN  (Read 3538 times)

Tom Silver

I NEED HELP WITH THIS BIG PROBLEM. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A ELECTRICAL PERSON HERE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WHO CAN FIX MY BIG PROBLEM. PLEASE READ THIS AND CALL ME TOM SILVER AT 818 889 4663 OR tom@tomsilver.com
THANKS

The Kaiser's electrical system is 6 volts. The generator is not charging the battery. There is a new voltage regulator on it, but there is no signal from the ignition.  Also, the system is positive earth- which means the positive wire from the battery is hooked to the chassis/body.

I am totally unfamiliar with this setup.

There is a toggle switch underneath the dash, and if it's off, the engine won't start, it will crank however.  I am suspecting that there is a problem with the wiring, and being positive earth, it's very easy to make a mistake if someone is unfamiliar with the system.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Did you polarize the generator when you installed the new voltage regulator?  You have to do this with positive ground if the system is disconnected which sounds like it was.
To polarize the generator, simply make a short jumper wire to short between the battery (b or bat) and generator (g or gen) lugs on the cutout relay or voltage regulator. Only a split-second or a spark is required, so simply tap your jumper wire onto the lugs and pull them right back off.
Not sure what that toggle switch is.  Thos I'm familair with are associated with the lighting system, but it is possible someone installed an electric fuel pump and that might be what the toggle is for. Yours has a key start ignition, not push button on the left side of the dash?

'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan