Author Topic: Colours  (Read 1258 times)

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
Colours
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:42:19 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to Henry J's and am looking to save to import one to the UK after new year, but I'm currently looking towards doing a very traditional 50s custom not extremely modified but subtle and sweet. I was wondering as understaniblyI can't find any information on what colours the Henry J's were available in, I am looking for a dark colour that would highlight the curves and definitions of the Henry. If I could find a original colour that I like, I would like to use it. I know this may be a long shot but worth a question.
Thank you for your time and help in advance Josh

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Colours
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »
Thank you very much buddy,

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:31:27 PM »
I bought a variety of vintage color chip charts for my Willys. The only one that proved useful to anyone was the Ditzler brand, currently PPG paints. TCP Global was able to accurately duplicate the period correct metallic in my particular color, which won't be an issue for you if you get a non metallic.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »
Thanks for the info MarkH - it will be very useful to many.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 03:46:09 AM »
Brilliant, thank you to you both for the information, I have just ordered the DuPont colour chips in the original colours as I would much rather paint it in a period and model correct colour once I have bought the car then to spray it in a modern water-based colour which in my opinion never gives the same effect. 👍

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »
You might find some useful info in this thread in the Willys forum.

http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,8234.0.html

My car just got painted this past weekend with TCP's house brand "Restoration Shop" base clear which is supposed to be quite similiar to PPG, my painters favorite brand. He says it went down nicely & I'm absolutely thrilled at how accurately it duplicates the vintage color chips.

Base clear is not period correct for my Willys and some car critics are definately against it. I did a Healey with correct enamel in the eighties and it's now dull in spite of being almost entirely inside since then. I just didn't see any joy in painting another car that will require decades of elbow grease to stay presentable.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »
Thank you guys, really appreciate the replies and info, especially being as I'm a newbie, I have saved the thread you have presented Mark as I shall be looking for a Henry after Christmas hopefully. 👍