Author Topic: 161 Supersonic engine  (Read 1107 times)

Deano5934

• View Profile
    • Email
161 Supersonic engine
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
Just getting started on restoring a 1952 Henry J Vagabond.
I plan on keeping it as original as practical.
My intention is to drive the car on the freeway as little as possible,but occasionally I know it can't be avoided .

My question is,can anything be done with a non overdrive trans to give the little car some more get up and go.
My background is in hi performance and drag racing,don't want to do anything to blow it up.
 ??? :-\

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 161 Supersonic engine
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 06:02:49 AM »
Experimental Engineering worked on horsepower increases during 1952 and 1953 for Brooks Stevens and his Excaliber J racing cars & as the engine for the Darrin before the acquisition of Willys-Overland.  I have copies of the Engineering Reports on a couple of ideas.  The engineers found that the engine did not lend itself to modifications; the racing cams, head, and tri-carb set up got some more HP but had reliability issues that was not good for everyday driving.

Best suggestion is to swap out the straight manual for manual with o/d and change the rear axle to a HJ 4.55:1.  This will help a bit with speed but remember this car was NOT designed to be the "fastest potato on the table" as they said in the movie JOHNNY DARK.

Deano5934

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 161 Supersonic engine
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
Thanks
That might be doable