Author Topic: Fuel Grade  (Read 2573 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuel Grade
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »
Does anyone find they have to use premium gas in their cars?  Mine's a 53K, and I wouldn't think the compression is high enough to warrant it, but I do occasionally hear pinging going uphill and accelerating hard with low-grade fuel.  Timing is on and I recently took the head off to unstick a valve and cleaned all the carbon off.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Grade
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »
Remember, today's fuel doesn't have tetraethyl lead in it. Lead was used to help with valve and valve seat wear, as well as to reduce pinging. Kaisers were designed to run on 77 octane gas which was the norm at the time. But, because there's now no lead and most gas has a mix of corn alcohol in it, running a higher octane may be needed for some cars. You can also try an addative like Marvel Mystery Oil, it helps with internal parts like valves and does work, I use and notice a difference.

I use Shell or Sunoco fuel in my Kaisers and I stay away from BP and Amoco fuels because they use more corn alcohol than the others. My F150 pings with the BP garbage in it.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »
According to the Service Bulletins, K-F engines (including the 226 with dual manifold and the supercharger) would run ok on regular gas, if timing and other things were set up correctly. The 79 Octane rating in the bulletins was caculated by a different means than as shown at pumps these days;  using the current formula, the octane need is in fact 87.  Further, if you check gasoline (different brands) at random, you will find that some different brands are identicical in some states as laws (such as in Wisconsin) allow owners of gas stations (independent ownership not owned by an oil company) to buy gas anywhere they wish and sell it as the branded product.  As a result, you can find "pinging" in various brands of gas.  We used Amoco/BP and did not have any more pinging problem than we had with the FF engine in the truck (that can run E85) or the Lumina (3.1L V-6).

Almost all gasolines these days use 8-12% alcohol of various types as an additive.   

To be on the safe side, when rebuilding an engine (not just K-F motors), install hardned valves and hardened valve seats.  The exception on the seats are Ford Motor Company vehicles built starting with the Model A Ford motor; Henry Ford had the company induction harden the blocks as part of the regular production process.   

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
I do use Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.   Did you mean 87 octane at sea level, i.e. the lowest grade?  In my home state of Utah 85 is low-grade because of altitude.  I currently live in Texas where 87 is the lowest octane choice.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
I'm using 93 octane otherwise up hills or under load I get occassional ping. I was using lead substitute for a few years, but now just use Marvel Mystery oil every few tanks.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »
My reference to 87 octane is based on the fed. sticker on pumps in places like KY, OH, WI and other midwest states. 

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »
I am doubtful that hardened valves/seats in Kaisers/Frazers have any benefit except to the parts sellers. John Parker used to claim the 226 blocks were extra "hard" and would stand up to all but the most vigorous driving. If you are using your KF as a tow car or for mountain climbing you may need the hardened stuff but otherwise...
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
I find that I have to keep the timing set at TDC and use non-oxygenated fuel in my cars. If I don't, they do ping.  There was a service bulletin stating that the performance of the Henry J 6 cylinder can be improved considerable by advancing the timing to 5° BTD.  I tried that once and noticed no improvement and it pinged so badly it could not be driven in my opinion.  The shop manual says it should be TDC and if I set it there it runs fine with no knocking or pinging.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios