Author Topic: The one...or more that got away  (Read 1516 times)

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The one...or more that got away
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »
Greetings All...a light-hearted yet fun post...Relevent to KF of course! While I'm waiting for some paint to cure and parts to soak, my buddy sent me a picture of my last baby. The one that got away, err...the one sold to fund and make room for my current projects of reviving Dad's Darrin and Mom's Victoria. Although I'm saddened to have let her go last year, she is almost ready for their trip to Vegas to get married and then set out to Cruise Route 66! Best part is I can visit her anytime:-)    So, what was the one you let go or moved to focus on the your Kaiser/HJ/Willys?
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: The one...or more that got away
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
Seller's regret. I sold my '59 Studebaker Silver Hawk after 19 years of ownership. I was the 3rd owner. The car was reliable enough to use everyday in crowded Atlanta. I sold it to pay for my daughter's summer camp. It was worth it, but I wish I had sold the '52 Kaiser Manhattan 2-door Traveler (a construct made by a club member in the 1970's) instead. The Kaiser sold several years later.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
I had immediate seller's remorse the moment my first Darrin was loaded on the car carrier. Here's a picture taken with my daughter (high school graduation pic) a few weeks before I sold it.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
Like njpatera, I needed room & funds. Listed my boat and quickly got 3 interested buyers. Sellers remorse set in & I begged off, pulled the ad and not long after sold it to the ex son-in-law for basically the price of the trailer so the grandkids could keep enjoying it. Could've used the extra bucks but still enjoying the space & the grandkids are getting more out of it than the last couple years I had it.

Of all the cars I've had, the only one back on my "watch" list is another '71 Rivera. It was an extra car so I swapped it for a work truck that gave me many years of service.
It's amazing how many boat tail sellers list their survivors at 100 point trailer queen prices.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 07:50:14 PM »
Funny the mention of a 71 Riviera. That was the other car on my list of "wish I had back". I bought one when I was 19 years old - gold with a black vinyl top and, of course, the 455 engine. It was a bench seat, column shift car but I didn't care, it was a Riv. About a year after purchasing it, a state cop hit the left front corner of the car and caused considerable damage. The car was repaired but never seemed right so I traded it in on, of all things, a 73 Mazda RX3. That's another story that involves hot dogs, Coca Colas and the dragstrip.

A few years ago an auction near me featured about twenty 71-73 Rivierias that a local eccentric collected. All were well worn and every one of them brought strong money. I did come home with a 3300 mile 1981 Eldorado that quickly became a money pit.

Mark - your assessment of the Riviera market is spot on, everyone thinks their car is worth a king's ransom.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
Interesting. My last post with the Silver Hawk shows how many times each of my pics were viewed. Most were 7-12 times, except Tracy on the Stude was viewed 36 times!
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

FleetMaster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »
People are just admiring how strong that hood section is on the Studebaker Hawk ::)
1923 T Roadster- stock
1951 Frazer Convertible
1951 Frazer Vagabond home couple weeks
1953 Packard Clipper Sedan
2 into 1 1953 Packard 8P sedans- project
1954 Hudson Hornet 4D sedan plus 2 1954 Wasp 2D sedans
1959 Rambler 6 Sedan
1961 Studebaker Hawk 289 3spd od
1964 Studebaker Avanti
1974 Avanti II

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 08:13:51 PM »
Interesting. My last post with the Silver Hawk shows how many times each of my pics were viewed. Most were 7-12 times, except Tracy on the Stude was viewed 36 times!

In comparison, I now have a much better understanding of your opinion of the Aero hood ornament ;D
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu