Poll

Rare, But how desireable  ??

What's it worth?
0 (0%)
Any info I can get
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: 1951 frazer Manhattan 4 door hard top  (Read 8766 times)

44todd

1951 frazer Manhattan 4 door hard top
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »
Hey Everyone..My name is Todd and my wife and I like to cruise the back roads around where we live and look for old cars behind barns, in the fields, you know the story..WE recently came across one I've never seen before, a 1951 Frazer Manhattan four door hard top..The car is complete, but has been sitting awhile. I would say the car is in better than average condition for a behind the barn find, it's a 6-cylinder-auto with power windows, I talked to the owner, and I can buy it, but have no idea what it's worth. I believe there were only like 156 of these produced..I would appreciate any input from the Kaiser-Frazer community I can get, What's it worth?, how desirable is it?..Thanks..Todd

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 frazer Manhattan 4 door hard top
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »
Hi Todd,
as with anything that is a "special interest" item, such as a '51 Frazer Manhattan, the value can be difficult to determine. Since so few were made, very few change hands so it's tough to gauge.  Manheimgold.com is a website which lists car values. I pulled it up for a 1951 Frazer Manhattan and here's what it says -
1951 FRAZER Manhattan              Dsp/HP         Eng      Fair       Good         Exc     Show  Loan
          4D SEDAN (152 mfd)          226/115       6C     2,500       4,500      7,500   8,500  4,000

The hardtops and convertible cars have always been desirable among Kaiser-Frazer afficianodoes due to their rarity and unique features. The criticism I hear most often regarding the '51 Frazer Manhattans is that most (save for the first 6 produced at Willow Run) were fitted with the single-range hydramatic transmission which was not as well developed as the dual-range hydramatic introduced in 1952.  On the positive side, the engine is a Continental 226 CID and there is still good parts availability for them. The ignition was Autolite and used by many makes so tune up parts are not a problem. The Hydramatic transmission was made by GM and used in many other cars so it too can be repaired and maintained without problems.  Overall a very easy car to keep running and on the road.
To determine how Manheim Gold defines the categories, go to http://www.manheimgold.com/value_faq.html

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

44todd

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »
Hey Fid,
Thanks for the reply to my question. I ended up buying the '51 hardtop today. After talking with Harold Hagen (the guy who runs the registry site) on the phone last night. He said this what quite a find, and that there were only around 136 produced, with about 1/3 of those known to have survived! I bought this for re-sale, so now I need to find the best venue to advertise it (Ebay through the club etc.)  Cant get it home till the snow melts and things dry up, so I will have more time to think about it, and talk to more people in the know, like yourself. Being a Kaiser Frazer fan yourself, I'd appreciate any advice you'd have to give. Thanks again, always a pleasure to talk to a fellow car guy.             
                                              Todd

flamingchariots

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 08:27:25 AM »
Todd: How about posting some pictures?  Very curious as to why you keep referring to it as a hardtop instead of a sedan.
Since you bought it for resale, how about suggesting an asking price so that club members can have first shot?
Keep us informed as to your progress!

Kevin
Medina,  OH

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »
If it is a 1951 Frazer Manhattan, that means it is either a hardtop or a convertible. Todd also mentions it has a hydramatic and power windows - only 1951 Manhattans had hydramatic and power windows. The description sure sounds like a hard top model.
The 1951 Frazer sedans had no model designations on them.
Pictures would be nice as I'd like to see it too. I missed a 1951 Manhattan some years ago by one week. The guy that bought it before I got to it paid $75 for it! It was blue with a hydramatic and very solid yet.  I always wonder where it is now.  The car mentioned could be it.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

44todd

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »
Hi, Things were just about dry here until last weekend, we got 32 inches of snow dumped on us and have forcasted another 10 to 14 inches this weekend(gotta love minnesota)so it's going to be awhile before I can get the car home.  When I finally get it here I will definitely get some pictures posted, I would really love to see it go to a club member who would appreciate such a rare car. 
I've been into Ebay for three years or so now I think it's cool to find these old cars and make them or their parts available to all the car guys and make a buck or two in the process, from what I'm hearing it would be nearly sacreligious to part this one out.  My Ebay handle is 44todd, feel free to look at my feedback.  Love to keep the questions and comments coming on this frazer,
Thanks, Todd

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
I'm from Minnesota too
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

44todd

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 10:52:13 PM »
No Way..Where at Fid ??

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »
Twin Cities - I think I know which car you found. Is it black or perhaps dark green if I remember correctly,  out by Montevideo?
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

44todd

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 07:11:39 AM »
No it is either dark gray or faded black with a red interior if my memory serves me right, and it's tucked behind a barn in the Grand Rapids area and has been in that family since new I believe.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »
The one in Montevideo was on ebay a couple of years ago. It looked like a really decent, restorable car but for some reason, it didn't sell. I don't think the price was too high either. Hmmm, send me an e-mail, ljfid@comcast.net  and I can put you in touch with KFOC North Country Region manager. He may know of someone who is looking for one.
I never knew of one in or near Grand Rapids.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe