Author Topic: Henry J Muffler Dimensions  (Read 855 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Henry J Muffler Dimensions
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:43:48 PM »
Looking for the length, width, inlet, and outlet sizes for a Henry J six cylinder muffler. I have an el-cheapo on the car now but it's not even close to being the right size.

Also, the hanger that's used to secure the muffler - has anyone found a reasonable substitute? When my car arrived, or I should say, the boxes of parts that became a car, the exhaust system and all hangers were long gone.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J Muffler Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:30:41 PM »
The Volume 37, number 2 issue of the KFOC Quarterly published a HJ part list which was compiled by Jim Brown and Alan Thomas. The list includes the muffler dimensions as "Oval, 7 3/4" x 3 3/4" x 22".  Hope this helps.  I got one of that stainless steel mufflers from Klass Kollection and works fine. I think inlet was 1 3/4" instead  of 1 5/8 but I had a custom shop install it and they did a great job.   If I think about it  tomorrow, I'll go out and take a picture of original hanger on Edgar Kaiser' J.  Don't forget to keep reminding me if I don't respond back soon.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »
Hey Jim, I jacked up Edgar and my '52 Vagabond and got some pics. They're both a little different but the one on my '52 Vagabond resembles what's in the HJ parts  book. It may have changed on the '53s but if it did, no new number is listed. The first pic is from Edgar's car (a '53), the next two are from my '52 Vagabond and then two from the HJ Parts book.  Hope this helps.  Always happy to help you out.

Hmmm, seems no matter what I do it turns  the parts book scans sideways!  You can download the pics and rotate  them if it helps.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:56:48 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:33:34 PM »
Thanks Fid, the pics help a lot. I saw the parts book diagram and wasn't sure how accurate it was so having a few pictures of the real thing sure helps. I think I can cobble something together with the stuff I have here.

I took the J to our local cruise nite. About a thousand cars were there and I had the only KF. I probably had a half dozen guys ask whether it was for sale...no...so they settled for pictures. We also had a Hertz Rent A Racer there as well and more folks looked at the J than the Mustang.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »
It's great when you can get attention at those shows!  Your car is an attention getter to be sure.
I attended the 10,000 Lakes Concours d'Elegance show (it's invite only) with my '52 Henry J Vagabond. As I was driving there (at 6am as they needed me there by 6:30a to line up) I looked in my mirror and noticed I was being followed by a gray '52 Henry J Corsair Deluxe!  It's that low mileage one that was on Iowa Craigs List a couple of years ago. It still wears the original paint and has original upholstery which is very nice yet.  I didn't realize he had been invited to the show as well.  He won a Preservation Award.  It is one very nice original car.  I think since mine was a brighter color (Cape Verde green), they chose to show mine on the news that night despite the other being an unrestored original.
It was the best show I have ever attended and I have been invited back next year. I will be bringing my '51 Kaiser special.

You can see the gray one's hood ornament in the first shot  and my car in the video at 00:27 seconds (after the commercial of course)
http://kstp.com/news/historic-cars-10000-lakes-concours-delegance-helps-nonprofit-bridgings/4558496/
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe