Author Topic: HJ door rubber seals  (Read 797 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
HJ door rubber seals
« on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
any suggestions for a source?

Steele doesn't seem to have one, or am I missing something?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: HJ door rubber seals
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
I have been told that 1953 Chevrolet passenger car door seals are a good fit. The seals Rudy sells are too wide and when installed, the door will not close.

At this year's national meet, a HJ owner had the 53 Chevy seals installed and they looked very much like the right ones...and the doors close properly!

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HJ door rubber seals
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »
I've seen mention of the HJ seals being too large before. Not knowing the original cross section profile, or the replacement profile I can't comment directly on HJ seals but can share some shop experience shared with me.
I was told by a custom builder who's built a variety of makes that door & trunk seals are often too puffy when new. Doors should be pushed partly latched for a while to allow the seal to take a "set" before forcing them fully closed.
Trunk latches should be adjusted high, then lowered to the proper setting as the seal conforms.

I also couldn't find factory door & trunk profile seals here for my Aero but was able to get correct Aero seals from Brazil, much puffier but the same profile as my old dried out samples. I ran into exactly what the builder said would happen on the trunk and it wouldn't latch, moved the striker up and it latched. Moved it a little lower and it latched only after I dropped it pretty hard, but it was latched so tight I thought I'd break the key unlocking it. Took the cylinder out & unlocked it with a screwdriver & moved the latch up just a bit & everything worked fine. Still have the last bit to adjust down but it seems to be going well.

Haven't gotten to the doors yet but I expect the same.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu