Author Topic: Coil for 53 Kaiser Manhattan  (Read 1897 times)

edc1953

• View Profile
    • Kaiser Fan
Coil for 53 Kaiser Manhattan
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Hi All,

I was at the 2008 Kaiser National in Salem Oregon and my car got a Bronze aware. One of the things wrong (-3 pts) was the Coil was not K/F and not in good shape.

So getting ready for the next Judging and I need a Coil.

First, Can you tell me what type of Coil is correct for the 1953 Kaiser Manhattan? Brand, type, color?
Second, Can you point me to soneone who has one in excellent condition?
Going for GOLD next time :)

Thanks,
*EDC*

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coil for 53 Kaiser Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »
The original coil used on the 1953 Kaiser (any model) was a Delco-Remy.  The United Motors parts guide indicates the same 6 volt coil number as used on early 1950's Chevy 6 cylinder trucks witbh 6 volt system.  Remember the Kaiser is POSITIVE ground so it needs to be hooked up accordingly.  Auto-Lite coils were NOT put on 1953 Kaisers. 

edc1953

• View Profile
    • Kaiser Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
Currently it has a Standard Coil. That is why it was marked as N/KF at the national!

Appreciate it :)
*EDC*

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
edc1953 - In general a car used engine electrics from one source. That is, if it had a Delco generator, it had a Delco voltage regulator, starter, distributor, and coil. The generator, starter and distributor would have tags saying they were Delco (or Autolite depending on the year). The voltage regulator would have Delco-Remy stamped on the cover and the coil would have Delco-Remy molded into the top near the terminals or stamped on the metal can.
Here is an important item: Delco voltage regulators and coils have shapes different from Autolite units. Delco and Autolite coils are functionally the same but the Delco unit is taller and skinnier. In fact, you are not going to interchange them unless you also change the mounting bracket.
Well, it would be surprising if you had the original coil on your car. You can get either type (shape/size) coil as a replacement but it probably would not have anything stamped on it. If your coil was the correct shape/size as a Delco AND it was painted black, I would have to say the judge was being overly picky.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170