Author Topic: 54 Manhattan  (Read 1938 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
Wow great find.  Very desirable colors which I have in my 54 Kaiser ad (the one at the dock)  Clearly KF promoted this dark blue color in 1954 as I have seen it a lot.

This also just in: no 1954 Kaiser has ever been crushed! They all still exist in some form or another! 

Obviously just kidding but they are plentiful.  Carpenter - this would be a good one to grab. 
No old cars owned.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
I have difficulty determining where they are located from the links. This one...???

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
I know that was difficult.  It's in Illinois. 
No old cars owned.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
Nice car, but I'm sold on the dark blue over light blue.  I know some are out there.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
Back around 1984 I bought a 1954 Late Special from the late Dwight Denhart. Dwight was a former KF dealer who stuck it out until the bitter end. He was so upset with the company that he literally plowed his inventory under in his back yard. To prove it, when I arrived to pick up the 17K mile car, he handed me a shovel and told me where to dig. I unearthed a couple tail light housings and a few other items that were of no value thanks to their underground entombment.

The car itself was relatively rust free but had suffered at the hands of kids with hammers and rocks...it was parked in the back of a municipal lot in the late 50s and long forgotten until Dwight rescued it. I ended up parting the car out because it was too far gone to restore. I still have the near perfect rear seat and one of the front fenders is on my 54, but most everything else found new homes.

So, there's one 54 I know didn't survive.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
Great story.  We do seem to find a lot for sale, but not all of them made it.  Some days I like th simplicity of the 51's, other days I like how the 53's and 54's look. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »
Asking $2000 with no obo.  I am trying to sell one of my more modern collector cars for half of that with zero interest.  I just need the room to bring in another car but the market is so soft. 

I personally think - looking at those photos - this would be a good buy.  $2000 does not seem unrealistic for a 54 Manhattan.  But there is no potential market.  Very few guys doing restorations and if you are a middle aged sort in a funk, and want this car - after getting the spouses blessing you need to get it out of there. A dusty slumber for sure. 

The seller has listed this car because he no longer wants to do ANYTHING with it including helping to extract it. I am hypothesizing there but I have been in these negotiations.  It's kind of like "It's $2700 but I'll take $2000 if you come and get it (and read between the lines that the only thing I am doing is lifting the garage door, automatically) 

If Craigs List would not be a den for low ballers, I'll bet he could put $100 on this car and no one would want it. 
No old cars owned.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
Jake posted on a thread "Another one...1954 Manhattan for sale", but I can't find it. Help.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
Thanks.  Keep trying.  It was a 54 for $1250.00