Author Topic: Kaiser vinyl and paint  (Read 8294 times)

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser vinyl and paint
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:20:40 AM »
Hey guys,

I was reading in the March bulletin an article by Richard Hansen on page #3, about the Bamboo & Boucle material. I know what the bamboo is, used on 53 Kaisers, but what is the Boucle? And what models is it used on? I must have missed it, but what company produces it, and what colors does it come in? Is there anyone who knows the modern pain codes for the 1954 two-tone green? Dad's 54 is next in line and the research continues!

Fabian

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser vinyl and paint
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »
The boucle material was used for the headliner on the Manhattans.  I'm not sure of the years, but I had a '53 Manhattan, trim code 5305, with brown bambu vihyl on the dashboard and seats.  The headliner was boucle vinyl, which is a bumpy material, not ribbed like the bambu.  It was also a lighter color of brown.

Randy K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »
Bouncle vinyl was used on on the seats and headliner on 1954 & 1955 Kaisers.  SMS Auto Fabrics ( http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ ) reproduces the vinyl is different weights (softer for seats or heavier weight for headliner) and in the correct colors.

Paint colors can be matched but EPA regulation on VOCs has changed the types of paints available.  Original paint chips usually include the mix codes and a good auto paint can match the original color.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
Yeah, you're right.  I had forgotten that it had both boucle and bamboo on the seats.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
The '54 does have the boucle on the headliner, on the tops of the seat backs (front and rear) in a contrasting colour, and in three horizontal strips on the door panels in contrasting colours.

What "material" is used for the lower half of the seat backs, and the bottoms on the '54 Manhattans? On mine, it looks an awful lot like a lightweight version of the floor carpet. Same colour as well.

Is this the original look or has mine been at least partially re-upholstered?

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »
The lower half of the seat backs, etc. is Lamar fabric.  I believe I heard that SMS http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ is reproducing it now--or they are planning to start soon.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:20:01 PM »
I am preparing to redo the interior of a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan 2-Door
Serial: 009468;  Model : K 532   Kaiser Manhattan;  Body Type: 4  2-Door Club Sedan;
Body Number:  5324 1855;     Trim: 5402 Peacoock Blue Luxura & Bambu Vinyl Trim
Floor is a carpeted blue;  Color:  203   Peacoock Blue;   Transmission:  (6)  Manual 3-Speed w/overdrive

Redoing everything – Seats, Dash, door panels, floor and headliner.

In the interior I see 4 types of upholstery materials: 1) White Boucle vinyl, Blue Boucle vinyl, White Bambu vinyl and Blue Luxura cloth.

I know some of you have been down this road before.  Does anyone remember how much of each of the four materials was required??

As a second question – In 1953 for Manhattans what was on the floors, Carpet or rubber mats?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:35:11 PM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

edc1953

• View Profile
    • Kaiser Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
In my 53 Kaiser Manhattan the front has a rubber floor mat and the back was Carpet. I still have the orginal. I have replaced the rubber mat in front with black (because no one has RED:(). I got the carpet from the manufacturing club and had to sew on my own trim on the edges (i took it off the orginal Rug, look like the head liner material).
This is a picture showing the old Rubber mat in front, the White Bambu vinyl on the seat top and back of back, cloth on the regular seat. The Headliner is about the same material, but different pattern (not Bambu).

http://kaiserfan.auto.officelive.com/images/25_goodin.JPG

Hopefully this link will work:)  FINALLY ABLE TO ATTACH LINKS FOR PEOPLE, I AM SO HAPPY! :o
*EDC*
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:46:31 AM by edc1953 »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »
If you check the LATER release 1952-53 Kaiser parts book supplement you will find that Manhattans offered carpet in various colors to better coordinate with interior and exterior paint.  Deluxe and Carolina models used black as a rule. 

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
Would you say Carpets are ok front and back??  My other Manhattan had mats up front and carpets in back.  But over the years I have seen several manhattans that appeared to have original carpets front and rear.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »
I think my '51 Deluxe had original carpet in the front. The remains I took out of it were of the same material as the rear carpet and had piping around the holes for the pedals and edge seams. 
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:29:45 PM »
Rubber mats were standard in front on the 51-5 Kaisers. Carpet was used in the Dragons. I think carpet could be special ordered for the front on the non-Drgaon cars. Perhaps Jack...with his stack of factory documents...will chime in with a reply.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:51:02 PM by joefrazer »

1948 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
Our '48 also had mat in front carpet in the back
1955 Chevy Bel-Air, 1965 Malibu SS, 1972 Ford F-250 Ranger XLT 4x4, 1994 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4, 2003 Ford F-150 Lariat Super-Crew

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
The 1951 Kaiser Illustrated Parts List shows carpet offered on all K512 series models except for the Travelers.  Rubber floor mats were also offered on the K512's;  floor mats came in several colors; carpeting was carpeting.   You'll find the info under section 30.630 and also applies to the 1952 Kaiser Virginians.

For later 1952 and 1953 Kaisers, only floor mats in various colors were used on Kaiser deLuxe and Kaiser Manhattan according to the information in the 1952 & 1953 Kaiser Parts Supplement book revised & issued February 1953.  Carpeting for Kaiser Dragons only was a part of the Dragon Accessory Group 100.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 08:40:44 PM »
Just finished the material estimates on the 53 Manhattan.

Material       Yds Req
White Boucle     4
Blue Boucle        7
Bambu   vinyl     8
Blue Luxura      3.5
GULP ...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:11:42 AM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster