Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1064 times)

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice needed
« on: July 08, 2018, 10:13:53 AM »
Hi guys

I have the chance to buy a Henry j in the UK already registered over her for a good price. Can anyone give me and advice on what to look for when going to view the car. Anything I should check or be curious off.

Many thanks
Josh

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
Some cars will never be restored because there is just too much damage and they are better off used as parts for another car.  Get a cost estimate to restore this car including parts and labor and compare it to the cost of a car that you can buy and enjoy now without going through a years restoration time if you are lucky and a lot of expense.  I think that you will be far ahead to buy a nice car that is already in good condition even if you have to ship it overseas.  There are many nice Henry J's available for sale in the U.S. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:53:23 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
Hi Gordie

Thanks for your reply, what I am thinking is to do with the car is purchase the car and fit for the time being the Scott's rods fibreglass panels so the car body and chassis can be sorted and the original steel wings and bonnet can be restored at no rush amd have the time etc they deserve. If I can get this car within my budget I can purchase the full front end in fibreglass panels and rear quarters etc for less than I'm going to pay for the car. This gets me on the road and rolling whilst I get my uncle to restore the fenders and bonnet in his body restoration shop here in the UK.

This is one of 4 in the UK and the others are all gassers and to ship one in from overseas with import charges I'm looking at around £10,000 for the same condition project.

I will never be able to afford a fully original restored Henry as I don't have the salary for that. Thank you for your advice 👍

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »
Good luck on your major project.  Someone on eBay recently offered both fenders, hood and quarter panels so parts are available here for a reasonable cost.  You are lucky to have such a nice Uncle!  Keep us current on your progress.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
Thanks Gordie, I do have a great support from both my dad and my uncle. My uncle restores VW split screens as a living. Where would you reccomend looking for Henry js as I have only been looking on eBay.

Many thanks
Josh

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 08:43:31 AM »
Hi,

I know that records at Swansea from at least the early 1960's back were lost (I know this from my ownership of Vauxhall Victor F series 763 BFJ in the 1980's over there) I have an interesting question.  Did this car have the old "book" from MOT or do you have the old license plates for the car.  There was an excellent two-tone 6 cylinder HJ in the posession of Alec Rolfe.  That car disappeared from the scene in the late 1970's.  It ran well and was in great shape.  Hope this car isn't Alec's.

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
Hi

Interesting indeed. I don't yet own the car but if I do I will let you know. The car is in bits and I mean 50% is missing.

Interesting also to know you had old victors. My dad has had many fd victors inc one estate and also a couple of vivas and now has a bedford cf.

Cheers

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »
Most of us like all kinds of cars.  I own my Mothers 1958 Metropolitan coupe and a 1983 Reliant Rialto three wheeler.  This forum has had many Henry J's listed if you look back at the old posts and the KFOCI Bulletin,  one of our club publications has monthly listings of cars and parts for sale.  Consider joining us and we have another member in London that may know of  cars  and parts available near you.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom