Author Topic: 1949 Frazer - Manhattan? $500 Iowa  (Read 1484 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
1949 Frazer - Manhattan? $500 Iowa
« on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/1949-frazer/6605864249.html

Beltline trim mean it's a Manhattan?  Only 2 photos
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1949 Frazer - Manhattan? $500 Iowa
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »
That one has been sitting outside a little too long but it appears to have all of the trim and even hubcaps as well as the visor. 
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
Beltline trim mean it's a Manhattan?

Not necessarily.  I've seen standards with it and Manhattans without it. No Manhattan scripts on the fender flanks - at least none visible in the pics so I'd say no way to tell for sure based on the information in the ad.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
I have an appointment to go see this car on Saturday.  I might cheat and go see it on Friday because I will be on my way back from Kansas City.  The seller is in Utah, and the cars in the photo must be on property where they need to go. 

I'll take plenty of photos.  For me, the adding of more substantial grilles on the 49-50's made a huge difference in my admiration of the slab siders.  I suppose the 47-48's had limitations on money and time for grilles and that is why they squeezed stainless steel stamped "grilles" into the same area. 

I had a 49 Virginian and loved the grille and car but I have never physically seen a 49 Frazer so even if the car is too far gone, I will enjoy seeing it. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
Well, I went and looked at this car.  It's 97 degrees here, humid and all the weeds in this field left their mark on me. 

I could not get the hood open. I was not sure where the hood opener was located.  I thought it was on the driver's side. 

I could not see any data plate.  The conditions were so miserable. I tried to get close to the inner tag on front door but did not get close enough.    Nonetheless, it appears to have a Manhattan level interior.  There was original paint in the doors, and I believe that it was maroon with the maroon interior.  Door panels look original, and are two tone. 

Cool trunk opener. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
More photos, has factory overdrive. 
Not sure that's a factory hubcap
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »
I am a bit confused about the possible color.  I see a dark grey on the car, at some spots, but I included the door opened photo to clearly show maroon on the door, but that could just be how the factory painted the inner door. 
No old cars owned.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »
That's a Manhattan steering wheel.  The chrome inner window frames also indicate Manhattan as does the rest of the upholstery as you mentioned. The rear hubcap is not '49 Frazer as you point out. It looks like '49 Kaiser but I can't tell.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 01:21:04 PM »
What about the Packards and the Edsel?

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »
You should be easily able to get your money back by selling the parts if you decide not to restore it.  Their are not many left!
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
What about the Packards and the Edsel?

Hi Carpenter:

Well, the really bad conditions when I went and the nice but quirky friend who accompanied me, meant my visit was shortened to taking some photos of the 49 Kaiser and a couple of other cars. 

This IS an abandoned farm. The owner's parents had the farm, he purchased from them and neglected it. Now it is a mess.  I think he posted a few photos on CL hoping people would help him by clearing out some of these old cars. 

I apologize, but the weather was a hot humid 95 degrees. I was wearing shorts and a T shirt. Both the friend and I were uncomfortable.  The grasses, thistles, and weeds were 2-3 feet high. My legs were scratched up, burning from allergens and such when done. 

I know you probably don't care about that back story but trust me - if the weather was decent, the weeds were minimal and the friend accompanying me said "take your time" I would have wandered.

22nd series Packard - there was a ubiquitous 22nd series Super Packard that was straight and complete, it's $250.  There were various Packard 2 door hardtops from 1955, but I did not inspect.  I tried to determine if they were 400's (Packard) or Clippers.  At least one was a Clipper. 

Next to the Frazer was a VERY RARE 1963 Buick Electra 4 door hardtop with FACTORY Bucket seats/console and loaded.  No big shakes being a 1963 Buick Electra 4 door hardtop, but factory buckets and console in any 4 door Buick makes this car extremely rare.  The Buick Club magazine editor said he owned one, a black and red car with no A/C, was in Texas, so he sold it.   This car is white with red leather interior and has every factory option.  BUT, it's a field car and likely to be crushed.

He has a 1973 Riviera in a pole shed that would be a nice project.  We did not go around to the "other" side, so I am not sure what else was there.  More Packards.  He had actually sold an Edsel from the other side.  There was an Edsel wagon in the pole shed.   Conditions just limited my interest.  I am no longer on the AACA Forum either, so I have no where to post all that I might have taken photos of. 

Conditions to remove these cars are other worldly.  The cars have been field cars for decades. The path out is obscured by weeds and grass.  The owner lives in UTAH now and has 0 interest in lifting one finger to make these cars generally more saleable.    Therefore, all brakes are going to be seized.  Cars will need dragged up onto trailers.  I have no idea how to get out. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:50:21 AM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:57:17 AM »
You should be easily able to get your money back by selling the parts if you decide not to restore it.  Their are not many left!

That's true Gordie, maybe.  As you know there is a huge surplus of KF parts with Rudy and Chris' stash.  To be honest, when I was looking at this car, I wondered how can I buy some parts from Rudy and Chris. 

For starters it looks like I would need the drivers rear quarter stainless belt trim.  It could be laying around there.  Last time I remember, someone, maybe Rudy, had fresh shortblocks so I don't think I would spend time trying to rebuild that motor. 

After looking at this car, I broke open my Last Onslaught.  There was a grey and black 1949 Frazer Manhattan in there, in the color section.  I think this car would look great in a dark metallic grey with black painted roof, and that maroon interior with light tan inserts on the doors. 

I go back and forth on it.  I have drug so many messes home, I am not sure I am up to trying to get this car out.  The best option might be a farmer with some way to pick it up, drop it in the road, but then the brakes would still be frozen.  I am just leary of helping anyone out who does not want to put a little effort into preparation.  I would not be surprised if ALL of these field cars are still here 15 years from now, and the owner still has not done anything with the farm. 
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 11:47:13 AM »
It is true that there are plenty of mechanical parts available for our cars but good grills, bumpers and trim parts go fast and most body trim parts are hard to find in good condition.  There is a surplus of bodies, doors, fenders and hoods and that is what goes to the junk yards to be crushed.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom